Author Topic: TEAMS NOT PLAYING TO POTENTIAL  (Read 1555 times)

Outsider

TEAMS NOT PLAYING TO POTENTIAL
« on: June 09, 2004, 03:10:21 PM »
People, most often, complain about their team not playing to the full potential. The comments heard are -

My team is not playing with full effort/potential. It should have easily defeated the other team. The team's best is yet to come. Mr.X is lazy, etc.

Why don't I appreciate the fact, in that particular game, the other team played better and outplayed my team? Probably, because of my loyalty, I don't recognize the capabilities of the opposing team.

Then the questions - How do players need to motivate themselves to play to their best level in each and every game?
As human beings, we can deliver best only some days.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »
I don't know about the rest but I can differentiate between when it's on MY team or when it was on the opposition.

IMO, game 1 and 2 of the Spurs series was about the Spurs just being better.

IMO, game 1 of the Finals was about the Lakers being lazy.

IMO, game 5 of the WCF it was about the Lakers being lazy.

IMO, game 2 was about the Pistons being better but the Lakers being better in the closing minutes.

So you could say that IMO the Spurs were the only team that was equal to or greater than the Lakers.  

Unless you're name is Allen Iverson, the actual game is less than half the time of your professional work schedule.  It's not about brining it every day, it's about brining it in the game.  I can understand a drop off in back to back games but not in the playoffs were you have a day of rest between games.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:36:20 PM »
People, most often, complain about their team not playing to the full potential. The comments heard are -

My team is not playing with full effort/potential. It should have easily defeated the other team. The team's best is yet to come. Mr.X is lazy, etc.

Why don't I appreciate the fact, in that particular game, the other team played better and outplayed my team? Probably, because of my loyalty, I don't recognize the capabilities of the opposing team.

Then the questions - How do players need to motivate themselves to play to their best level in each and every game?
As human beings, we can deliver best only some days.
I think there are many times that I have stated the Lakers weren't the best team -- I just don't believe it's the truth right now with Detroit.  The Lakers won the first half of game #2 and then got lazy (again -- something they have done ALL year long so it's not surprising to anyone that it happens).  

The Spurs were definately the better team last year -- I said so and the best team ALWAYS wins a series, IMO, and that won't be any different in this series.  

I have been impressed with Detroits defensive pressure but the Lakers have shown they can beat it and they can play defense themselves (didn't you see the difference between the defense of the Lakers in game #1 and #2?).  I will say that I believe it's pretty ridiculous to say that a team isn't bringing their best to the floor -- there should be many on the Lakers team who take that as a personal indictment.

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 09:52:34 AM »
Randy,

I don't see how you can say that LA played good D agaisnt Detroit.  Your team was lucky as anything to not loose game 2.  There was no way Detroit should have been in the game the way they started the fourth quarter, but they creamed the vaunted Lakers in their own building and had the fans booing their effort, panic apparent ontheir faces.

Detroit simply stopped playing about a minute before the game ended.  All they needed was one bucket or a made free-throw and Kobe's game-tying shot doesn't happen.  

LA could be in real trouble this series.  Detroit should win tonight on their home court.  The pressure on your heroes will be imense in Game 4.  The only other team to put pressure on the Lakers were the Spurs, and LA was able to adjust to what they were doing.  They will not be able to adjust to the the Pistons D.  They will have to slug it out with the Pistons and their margin of error for winning is very thin.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 10:01:56 AM »
Randy,

I don't see how you can say that LA played good D agaisnt Detroit.  Your team was lucky as anything to not loose game 2.  There was no way Detroit should have been in the game the way they started the fourth quarter, but they creamed the vaunted Lakers in their own building and had the fans booing their effort, panic apparent ontheir faces.

Detroit simply stopped playing about a minute before the game ended.  All they needed was one bucket or a made free-throw and Kobe's game-tying shot doesn't happen. 

LA could be in real trouble this series.  Detroit should win tonight on their home court.  The pressure on your heroes will be imense in Game 4.  The only other team to put pressure on the Lakers were the Spurs, and LA was able to adjust to what they were doing.  They will not be able to adjust to the the Pistons D.  They will have to slug it out with the Pistons and their margin of error for winning is very thin.
Actually I thought they were playing good defense up until the middle of the 3rd when they decided to reach and grab instead of moving their feet.  Detroit got back into the game by shooting freethrows and put backs.  Not from how they normally score.  Rip didnt go off, Wallace didnt go off, and Billups didnt go off so I would say they did a good job.  The second chance points and the FTs is what killed em.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:02:49 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickotreat

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 10:53:59 AM »
Good Points WK.  You're right about that, it was more on hustle plays that Detroit was able to get back in the game, along with some defensive lapses.

The age of the Lakers is becoming an issue.  The longer this series goes, the harder it will be for the Lakers to stay in it.  Good thing you have Kobe and Luke to keep you going.  Not sure how safe it is for the Lakers to be relying on rookies, but Jackson has little choice.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 11:43:22 AM »
I thought detroit got good looks in the first half, but didn't convert.  Lakers D wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed with it.