Author Topic: OT: Movie Review.  (Read 1392 times)

jn

OT: Movie Review.
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:58:20 AM »
The Fog of War:  Erroll Morris is a superb documentary maker and he has a great subject in former Robert S. McNamara.  McNamara's stories and opinions, combined with his unique blend of arrogance and humility makes for an amazing film.  After our recent discussions on war, (in particular, our discussion about the use of U.S force) I highly recommend this one.  

jn

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 11:01:28 AM »
Oops, that should be "former Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »
The Fog of War:  Erroll Morris is a superb documentary maker and he has a great subject in former Robert S. McNamara.
I don't know these two but it sounds interesting.
Same general subject last night on Scarborough Country was a man Christopher Hitchens who seemed to know 10Xs more then Michael Moore on what really came down in Iraq.
Instead of just dissing Moore, which he did do, he instead gave the angle Moore really works.  However this guy was in no way shape or form a Bush backer.
Discussion was not the Bush War vs Moore Non war mantra.  There was also chick guest MSNBC analyst Flavia Colgan but she was just a Bush bashing babbler/Moore suck up.

Instead this guy Christopher Hitchens said Rumsfield and many others were completely buffaloed by this Chialbi (sp) guy and went on to draw many other stanky intel and FBI screwups.  

Amoung that on 9/11 it was shocking how bin bins family and many other Saudis were given airflights out of the US while the rest of us were ordered grounded.  He says the US-Bin Ladens-Saudi connection is gross, many high ups were on the take.

Total side point but since we are on movie reviews I saw The Day After.  Unreal special effect.  Plotline had great potential but some really cheesy acting and side plots.  All in all i dont want to give it good or bad since the storm effects are super realistic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 12:28:15 PM by Reality »

movie goer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 01:56:59 PM »
Sela Ward still looks good.

jn

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 03:16:06 PM »
Reality,

Hitchens writes regularly for Slate.com.  He's a gay atheist UC Berkley professor who is fond of calling other people liberal.  :unsure:  Anyhoo he's always a provacative read, (he came to prominence with a book openly dispariging Mother Teresa).  I agree with some of his views on the illogic of some anti war people but he all too often cites vague or discredited information as proof of a direct link between Iraq and Al Qaeda.  

Craig Unger is the name of the guy who has a book out about the Bush/Bin Laden connection and the aftermath of 9/11 flights out the us for roughly 300 Saudis, including a number of Bin Ladens.  

Erroll Morris other well known film is "The Thin Blue Line", a documentary about how Texas was planning to execute the wrong man for shooting a Dallas cop.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 12:04:38 PM »
Shrek II was terrific.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"