Author Topic: Has Hack-a-Shaq ever worked?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Hack-a-Shaq ever worked?
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »
I was watching the game last night and several of us were racking our memories to determine if the Hack-a-Shaq strategy has ever worked for an opponent.  I couldn't think of a single instance in the playoffs, which is obviously when it is most used, when it has worked.  

I wasn't a math major, but even I can comprehend that if Shaq shoots 8/22, or 36%, like he did last night, the opposition would rather have that then the team shooting in the mid-40's or higher.

But if Shaq shoots somewhere around his career % of 50%, it's not even close to being a sound strategy.  At that point, you are essentially conceding a 50% FG% to the Lakers, then on top of it, you are allowing the Laker D to get all set up and wait for your offense.  That reason alone makes it a stupid strategy.  To beat the Lakers you've got to run on them.  Obviously age/fatigue are one of their weaknesses.  Plus, in the case of the Wolves, a jump-shooting team, they need some transition buckets, whether it's catching the D recovering and popping a jumper on them when they're not ready, or better yet, some fast break buckets in the paint.

I just don't see it as an effective strategy for ANY team, but especially the Wolves.  Hack-a-Shaq, combined with Minnesota's unwillingness, or inability to even try to score in the paint kept Minnesota in perpetual team foul penalty situations with the Lakers hardly having any.  Not good.

So, can anyone remember a game where it worked?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 05:14:05 PM »
Depends on the situation.  When Kobe and/or any of the other players are hot from the field then yes its very effective.  Also if they are at home the Hack-a-Shaq is very effective because it takes the crowd out of the game.

However it is not effective if Shaq hits half the freethrows......even tho 50% is a horrible pct from the line.  For the reasons you mentioned above.  Mainly because the Laker defense has time to get back.  That right there is why the Hack-a-Shaq backfires...this team wins when they play their quality half court defense.  They dont win when teams get easy buckets on them.  After a while those easy baskets cause the Laker D to turn into scramble-who-guards-who kind of crappy D that lets teams take advantage.  Teams who has guards who can penetrate EAT the Laker D at that point.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 06:23:32 PM »
Agreed westkoast, but can you remember a game where the team won with the Hack-a-Shaq strategy?  

I can't.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:42:22 AM »
Agreed westkoast, but can you remember a game where the team won with the Hack-a-Shaq strategy? 

I can't.
Not a single one to tell you the truth.  Still if you are a few possesions away its worth a shot to foul him.  The one thing the Wolves benefited from the hack-a-Shaq was the breather KG got.  He looked done around the 3 minute mark.

Oh ya and they mad Shaq mad :lol:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 12:42:46 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:56:58 AM »
Dallas won on the Lakers home court for the first time in 13 years this season, they held onto the lead by using Hack-A-Shaq.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:14:38 PM »
Dallas won on the Lakers home court for the first time in 13 years this season, they held onto the lead by using Hack-A-Shaq.
I hear ya WoW, but Dallas was up what 19 points in that game?  I'm talking specifically in the playoffs.  On top of that I'd throw in that the opponent is close, say within 10 points, and employs the Hack-a-Shaq strategy in an attempt to win it down the stretch.  

It's never worked and it's never worked because it is a bad strategy.  I can't believe coaches still continue to use it.  

The only time I can see using it is if there are seconds left and a team is down by 1 - 4 points.  But these guys (Flip, Adelman, Dunleavy, Nelson) who employ it in the 3rd and 4th quarters are moronic.  It plays in to the Lakers hand, by letting them set up their D and keep the game in a half court set where they excel.  Meanwhile, even if Shaq shoots 36%, the opponent must score on basically every possession and do so in a half court set.  It's crazy :crazy:  but I hope Flip keeps doing it.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:44:04 PM »
I hear ya WoW, but Dallas was up what 19 points in that game?  I'm talking specifically in the playoffs.  On top of that I'd throw in that the opponent is close, say within 10 points, and employs the Hack-a-Shaq strategy in an attempt to win it down the stretch.  

It's never worked and it's never worked because it is a bad strategy.  I can't believe coaches still continue to use it.  

The only time I can see using it is if there are seconds left and a team is down by 1 - 4 points.  But these guys (Flip, Adelman, Dunleavy, Nelson) who employ it in the 3rd and 4th quarters are moronic.  It plays in to the Lakers hand, by letting them set up their D and keep the game in a half court set where they excel.  Meanwhile, even if Shaq shoots 36%, the opponent must score on basically every possession and do so in a half court set.  It's crazy :crazy:  but I hope Flip keeps doing it.
I still think it depends on the reason why they are using the hack-a-Shaq because we just assume its only to help them catch up.  Im sure thats the main reason the coaches decide to use it but what about for other reasons like to get their star player some rest to finish strong without having to take him off the floor?  Or what if its to cool off a hot Laker shooter?  I've been to Staples when they have used the hack-a-Shaq and it really takes the crowd out of the game.  The fans go from cheering to mumbling and whinning amongst themselves.

Plus sometimes the big fella's ego needs to get a few lumps :lol:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 01:45:38 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:52:46 PM »
I wouldn't want to use this approach, as a coach, because of the negative psychological effect -- you are basically admitting that the only way you can beat the team is by fouling Shaq and hoping he bricks his freethrows.  Not only that but you destroy ANY rhythm you hope to build and allow the Lakers to get back on D.  I think that there are times when you have to use it -- but I think you have to be close (two possessions) in order to use it and it's not a strategy, IMO, that is effective in every possession -- just in SOME possessions.  For instance, if the game is close and within the last 5 minutes of the game (and assuming you have the fouls with big men to give), I would instruct my players to wrap Shaq up ONLY when he got the ball in the post -- do NOT allow him to take a shot.  Then you might get the Lakers to think twice before dumping the ball into the post to Shaq -- that, IMO, is an effective way to work the Hack-a-Shaq.  I will state, however, that Shaq seems to be a better ft shooter in crunch time than he is in the rest of the game (okay, that's not saying much -- maybe 50% instead of 16%?).

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »
I wouldn't want to use this approach, as a coach, because of the negative psychological effect -- you are basically admitting that the only way you can beat the team is by fouling Shaq and hoping he bricks his freethrows.  Not only that but you destroy ANY rhythm you hope to build and allow the Lakers to get back on D.  I think that there are times when you have to use it -- but I think you have to be close (two possessions) in order to use it and it's not a strategy, IMO, that is effective in every possession -- just in SOME possessions.  For instance, if the game is close and within the last 5 minutes of the game (and assuming you have the fouls with big men to give), I would instruct my players to wrap Shaq up ONLY when he got the ball in the post -- do NOT allow him to take a shot.  Then you might get the Lakers to think twice before dumping the ball into the post to Shaq -- that, IMO, is an effective way to work the Hack-a-Shaq.  I will state, however, that Shaq seems to be a better ft shooter in crunch time than he is in the rest of the game (okay, that's not saying much -- maybe 50% instead of 16%?).
I seem to remember it working in 96, when the Bulls swept the Magic out of the playoffs. But of course, that was a slightly different Shaq.

The Bulls used all kinds of big bodies on him that year; Wennington, Perdue, Blount, Rodman, Parish.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 06:11:30 PM »
I can't remember it being effective, however it IS a sound strategy if Shaq gets the ball down low.  IF he has it, it's almost an automatic 2, and since the ball gets taken out-of-bounds, you can't get much of a jump on the Lakers anyway.  So foul him and make him earn it at the line rather than making an automatic bucket.  But only in that situation, and make sure that he can't make the shot- I've seen people foul him and makes a three point play!