Author Topic: Shaq-Fu! The big Diesel is hanging them up.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shaq-Fu! The big Diesel is hanging them up.
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
Shaq is the most amazing player I have ever seen. The man was a beast in his prime. He is the only player I have seen dominate both ends of the court, Dream was the closest followed by Duncan. I've seen guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Wade, and now Dirk dominate an entire team defense, I have even seen guys like Jordan and Kobe defensively dominate a single player but I have never seen a guy dominate an entire team offensively and defensively the way Shaq did in his prime. Granted I never really got to see guys like Kareem, Russel, Wilt, Moses,or Walton in their prime so Shaq may not be the most dominant, and like I said, Dream came very close but Shaq practically "punked" entire teams.

Shaq was awesome and I feel fortunate to have seen a "once in a lifetime" big man in his prime.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Shaq-Fu! The big Diesel is hanging them up.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
Can't disagree with most of your assessment WOW, except I would put Duncan ahead of Hakeem, and having seen Jabbar in his prime I would put Shaq ahead of him followed by Duncan and Hakeem.

Russel didn't have the size to dominate in such a large NBA as there is today but in his day he was off the hook, and he was and is the quintessential ambassador for the game, a true gentleman. Walton, who knows? Injuries took their toll on him but that '77 Finals was something else!

That said, no one, and I mean NO ONE, dominated like the Stilt! I have no time to break down what he accomplished right now but I remember him toward the end of his career 1969-1973 and he was still averaging 18 rpg, set a record when he averaged 50 ppg in '61-'62, and hold the next 2 spot there as well, averaged a double double over his career, owns 60 NBA records, no one come even remotely close to what he scored on a night in night out basis, 32 60 point games, 118 50 point games, 271 40 point games, 7 consecutive 50 point games, I could gop on but we all know the numbers, they changed the rules because of this cat and not to protect him like they did Jordan, but in a vain attempt to negate some of his dominance, the greatest of all time, period.
Dan