Author Topic: So who do you dread facing?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
So who do you dread facing?
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
Situation:  You're on a team that's up by one point with 7 seconds on the clock.  No timeouts availabe for either team - the opponent has just taken his last one, and they're about to inbound the ball.  Which team is it that you most would dread facing?

Understand - this is a question about team philosophy, execution, your ability to know what's coming and to deal with it, and even the competency of the  opponent's coaching.

It's easy to say, "I'd dread facing the Lakers."  Not me.  I *KNOW* who's getting the ball and taking that shot.  I don't know necessarily where or how, but in such a case, I'd forgo defending the inbounder and add an additional defender on Kobe.  Jackson's a good coach (supposedly), but he's not particularly creative in this instance.  Granted, this is the situation Kobe lives for, and performs well in.  I might get burned by a Derek Fisher shot, but do I *REALLY* *BELIEVE* that Kobe's going to give the ball up in this situation?  No.

Ditto with the Spurs.  The ball is going to Ginobili.  Ginobili might get it to Duncan, but the ball's going to be in Ginobili's hands.

Miami doesn't scare me.  As long as Spoelstra's there, that ball will most likely be in Wade's hands.  And while it's a potent offensive team, there are a lot of folks I don't have to worry about too much on that team.

Orlando doesn't scare me.  Van Gundy isn't an offensive genius, and the best player on the team - Howard - isn't likely to be the guy they go to.  I'd have been a bit more scared if they still had Carter.

Utah scares me a little.  Execution is their name, and Sloan is famous for getting the Jazz good looks - from lots of different people - after timeouts.  And with the ball in the hands of Williams, he may take it himself, or he may set someone else up (that someone else likely being Okur) - or possibly a Millsap dunk at the rim.  But I'm going to focus on denying Williams, and I'll risk that Sloan set it up for him to make the decision.

Denver scares me a bit.  Karl is creative, and the ball will probably be in the hands of Billups or Anthony;  in Billups case, the danger is in him going to Anthony, and in Anthony's case, the danger is in him being a gifted scorer.  But how much would I be worried if the ball ended up in the hands of J.R. Smith?  For all you know, he might be stupid enough to shoot at the wrong basket.

Boston scares me a bit, but only really because of Ray Allen's quickness in getting off a shot.  But I'm not all that sold on Doc Rivers or Paul Pierce, and I'm not worried about Rondo hitting a shot to beat me, and again, I don't know that the team's best player - Garnett - is going to be the one taking the shot.

So what team really terrifies me?  *DALLAS*.  Carlisle is a creative offensive coach, and he's got a ton of weapons to use - not the least one of which is Jason Kidd, who's one of the best at picking out which of his targets has the best shot.  You're going to face a line-up of Nowtizki, Marion, Butler (were he available), Kidd, Terry, Barea, and Beaubois - some combination of them.  If you guess wrong...or get crossed up on a screen....

And that's what really intrigues me about Dallas.  If the game is close, I don't want them to have the ball at the end of the game.  And that's why I think they're going to be a force to deal with.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: So who do you dread facing?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
LA has more outsides threats now than they have had in some time so Kobe is by no means automatic, no matter how much it makes sense to feed him, Fisher can kill you as can brown, and now even Matt Barnes. Plus Gasol can easily draw defenses in and kick it and if they don't bite he can score on anybody.

The team that causes worry to me is still Boston, great inside and outside potential with a well disciplined game plan Allen is still a killer and Big Baby,Perkins and Garnett are certainly as scary as any front court out there but the x factor is Rondo he can score from anywhere.

Yeah, Boston is scary
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
But with 7 seconds to go, is LA going to look to Barnes or Artest or Odom?  No.  It'll be Kobe, and MAYBE, in a pinch, Fisher.  Gasol will be more distraction than threat.  Kobe and Fisher (if left open, in Fisher's case) are really the only ones to fear.

And Boston?  Perkins or Big Baby with the last shot?  I'm okay with that.  If they beat me, I tip my hat and say "Good game."  If it's not a lay-up from Rondo, chances are it's not going it.  Garnett scares me, but like Gasol, he'll be more distraction than threat.  I'm not a believer in Pierce, who is going to be the one to take the last shot.  But I'm really scared of Ray Allen, just because of how quick his release is.

I'm still more scared of Dallas, simply because they've got more offensive weapons across the spectrum.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:37:09 AM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Situation:  You're on a team that's up by one point with 7 seconds on the clock.  No timeouts availabe for either team - the opponent has just taken his last one, and they're about to inbound the ball.  Which team is it that you most would dread facing?

Understand - this is a question about team philosophy, execution, your ability to know what's coming and to deal with it, and even the competency of the  opponent's coaching.

It's easy to say, "I'd dread facing the Lakers."  Not me.  I *KNOW* who's getting the ball and taking that shot.  I don't know necessarily where or how, but in such a case, I'd forgo defending the inbounder and add an additional defender on Kobe.  Jackson's a good coach (supposedly), but he's not particularly creative in this instance.  Granted, this is the situation Kobe lives for, and performs well in.  I might get burned by a Derek Fisher shot, but do I *REALLY* *BELIEVE* that Kobe's going to give the ball up in this situation?  No.

Ditto with the Spurs.  The ball is going to Ginobili.  Ginobili might get it to Duncan, but the ball's going to be in Ginobili's hands.

Miami doesn't scare me.  As long as Spoelstra's there, that ball will most likely be in Wade's hands.  And while it's a potent offensive team, there are a lot of folks I don't have to worry about too much on that team.

Orlando doesn't scare me.  Van Gundy isn't an offensive genius, and the best player on the team - Howard - isn't likely to be the guy they go to.  I'd have been a bit more scared if they still had Carter.

Utah scares me a little.  Execution is their name, and Sloan is famous for getting the Jazz good looks - from lots of different people - after timeouts.  And with the ball in the hands of Williams, he may take it himself, or he may set someone else up (that someone else likely being Okur) - or possibly a Millsap dunk at the rim.  But I'm going to focus on denying Williams, and I'll risk that Sloan set it up for him to make the decision.

Denver scares me a bit.  Karl is creative, and the ball will probably be in the hands of Billups or Anthony;  in Billups case, the danger is in him going to Anthony, and in Anthony's case, the danger is in him being a gifted scorer.  But how much would I be worried if the ball ended up in the hands of J.R. Smith?  For all you know, he might be stupid enough to shoot at the wrong basket.

Boston scares me a bit, but only really because of Ray Allen's quickness in getting off a shot.  But I'm not all that sold on Doc Rivers or Paul Pierce, and I'm not worried about Rondo hitting a shot to beat me, and again, I don't know that the team's best player - Garnett - is going to be the one taking the shot.

So what team really terrifies me?  *DALLAS*.  Carlisle is a creative offensive coach, and he's got a ton of weapons to use - not the least one of which is Jason Kidd, who's one of the best at picking out which of his targets has the best shot.  You're going to face a line-up of Nowtizki, Marion, Butler (were he available), Kidd, Terry, Barea, and Beaubois - some combination of them.  If you guess wrong...or get crossed up on a screen....

And that's what really intrigues me about Dallas.  If the game is close, I don't want them to have the ball at the end of the game.  And that's why I think they're going to be a force to deal with.

WRONG! Joe, you ignorant slut! With Dallas it's going to be Dirk taking the shot, and he's easier to defend than Kobe/Wade/Pierce.  IMO any team that has Nellie coaching them is IMPOSSIBLE to defend for one game winning possesion.  Is he coaching the Warriors?  Because IMO that is probably the most difficult team to defend cause you have way too many first scorring options, Denver is a close second with Melo and Mr. Big Shot Billups.

PAH-LEE-ZZZ!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Keith Smart is coaching the Warriors.   
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
Not that we don't already know and the ones who need to listen to this won't but.....

http://www.slate.com/id/2255932/

According to 82 Games, Bryant missed the most potentially game-winning shots (42) of anyone in the NBA from 2003-04 through the middle of the 2008-09 season. (In this study, a game-winning shot was defined as one taken with 24 seconds or less remaining and the score tied or the team with the ball down by 1 or 2 points.) While Bryant was fourth in the NBA in game-winners (14) over that period?behind LeBron James, Vince Carter, and Ray Allen?his .250 game-winning shooting percentage was below the league average of .298. That .250 mark was also the second-worst of anyone with at least six game-winning baskets, behind only the SI poll's second-favorite clutch performer, Chauncey Billups. (Some of the league's best late-game shooters by percentage: Carmelo Anthony, Antawn Jamison, and Pau Gasol.)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »

Ginobili is really scaring me here with his Kobme act with a chance to tie/win at the end vs Boston last night.
Look how WIDE open McDyss is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugV4vLag7o

yeah Joe, Jason Terry on Dallas also has developed a good "let er rip" final possession shot.  But to your point yes divercity is the answer.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:27:46 PM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:41:22 PM »
Reality's right on this - Ginobili missed McDyess big-time.  Here's a better view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbCXGuwZTP4&feature=related

Joe

-----------