Author Topic: Oden's getting microfracture surgery  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oden's getting microfracture surgery
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:51:27 AM »
Out for the year now.

Yeesh.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oden's getting microfracture surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
Correction:

Out forever.

I honestly think he is done as far as an NBA career goes.  Sad to say that but I believe that to be true.  Portland is going to part ways with him and I don't see anyone else picking him up after.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »
I honestly think he is done as far as an NBA career goes.  Sad to say that but I believe that to be true.  Portland is going to part ways with him and I don't see anyone else picking him up after.

I disagree.  With GMs like David Kahn out there, SOMEONE will likely give him a chance.

Sh**, Kahn gave $20 million to Darko in the offseason so he wouldn't return to Europe.  Everyone else was thinking, "And don't come back!"
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »

I disagree.  With GMs like David Kahn out there, SOMEONE will likely give him a chance.

Sh**, Kahn gave $20 million to Darko in the offseason so he wouldn't return to Europe.  Everyone else was thinking, "And don't come back!"

Darko may be a scrub and was overhyped but he still can physically play.  By the time Greg  gets healthy next year he will have spent more time rehabbing knees than he has spent playing. 

People were saying 'oh its his OTHER knee so PHEW!' but to me that is just as bad as hurting the same knee again because now you have TWO damaged knees that both will have had surgery on.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »

Darko may be a scrub and was overhyped but he still can physically play.  By the time Greg  gets healthy next year he will have spent more time rehabbing knees than he has spent playing. 

People were saying 'oh its his OTHER knee so PHEW!' but to me that is just as bad as hurting the same knee again because now you have TWO damaged knees that both will have had surgery on.

Dikembe Mutombo played until he was older than dirt.  Francisco Elson is still pulling down a paycheck.  Caleb's right;  someone will give Oden a big paycheck.  Portland has no obligation to him beyond this season, which means he goes in with the next free agent class. 

If a bad team won't risk shelling out a big contract to Oden, then he'll take a small deal with a Miami/LA.  And he'll be healthy.  That's the way it works in today's NBA.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »

Dikembe Mutombo played until he was older than dirt.  Francisco Elson is still pulling down a paycheck.  Caleb's right;  someone will give Oden a big paycheck.  Portland has no obligation to him beyond this season, which means he goes in with the next free agent class. 

If a bad team won't risk shelling out a big contract to Oden, then he'll take a small deal with a Miami/LA.  And he'll be healthy.  That's the way it works in today's NBA.

Mutombo didn't have the same injury problems Oden has.  Francisco Elson is not sitting with major micro fracture on both knees.

No one is going to give him a big pay check.  Now I could be wrong and someone will pay him but he certainly won't make a 'big pay check' because of how big of a liability his knees are.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
No one is going to give him a big pay check.  Now I could be wrong and someone will pay him but he certainly won't make a 'big pay check' because of how big of a liability his knees are.

Doesn't mean he won't play.  He'll take a small, 1 year deal to try to prove himself.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »

Doesn't mean he won't play.  He'll take a small, 1 year deal to try to prove himself.

No, he'll get a BIG paycheck.  And the team will take an insurance policy out on him, in the event it doesn't work out, to cover the cost of his contract, after the team doctors and the insurance company doctors have checked him out.  And they'll insure him.  Who was the last person you heard who COULDN'T get this kind of deal.  The team will lock him up for years, on the off-chance that he gets healthy, preventing him from going elsewhere, for the max contract kind of paycheck after a year.

Carlos Boozer, the definition of "walking wounded," got a big paycheck, and he's yet to play for Chicago.  Bill Walton scored a huge deal with the Clippers, who also had to give compensation in those days (Kevin Kunnert and Kermit Washington together, in a twist of irony) to the Blazers for signing him.  Heck, Lloyd's of London insured Walton's ankles.  Amare Stoudemire - microfracture surgery, plus something to do with his eyes - still got a HUGE deal.  Oden will get his money - for far more than the MLE.

Centers are a rare commodity, and someone will to after Oden for that reason.  DARKO got paid this year, and Oden injured might be better than Milicic playing!

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »

No, he'll get a BIG paycheck.  And the team will take an insurance policy out on him, in the event it doesn't work out, to cover the cost of his contract, after the team doctors and the insurance company doctors have checked him out.  And they'll insure him.  Who was the last person you heard who COULDN'T get this kind of deal.  The team will lock him up for years, on the off-chance that he gets healthy, preventing him from going elsewhere, for the max contract kind of paycheck after a year.

Carlos Boozer, the definition of "walking wounded," got a big paycheck, and he's yet to play for Chicago.  Bill Walton scored a huge deal with the Clippers, who also had to give compensation in those days (Kevin Kunnert and Kermit Washington together, in a twist of irony) to the Blazers for signing him.  Heck, Lloyd's of London insured Walton's ankles.  Amare Stoudemire - microfracture surgery, plus something to do with his eyes - still got a HUGE deal.  Oden will get his money - for far more than the MLE.

Centers are a rare commodity, and someone will to after Oden for that reason.  DARKO got paid this year, and Oden injured might be better than Milicic playing!

Joe, there is one clear difference between all those players you named.....

They've played many seasons worth of basketball and shown what they can do when they stay healthy.  Right now the count of bench time vs playing time is 2 to 1 in favor of riding the pine for Oden.  Walton played quality minutes and won a title.  Walton proved he could put up numbers over many seasons.  Carlos Boozer has logged more minutes on the court than he has off the court.  Boozer is a 20 and 10 guy night in and night out for the most part.  Amare Stoudamire was posting up 30-20 games in the playoffs before he got his micro fracture surgery.  His latest big pay day didn't come until it was clear he fully bounced back from the surgery and continued to post huge numbers.  Oden hasn't played very much and this is his 3rd knee surgery.  I don't think it is comparing apples to apples when it comes to Oden vs Walton or Oden Vs Boozer or Oden Vs Amare.

I am siding with DB on the fact he will get signed for a year or two but I don't think he gets a big pay day.  To me a big pay day is 8-9 million per year.  I don't think he gets that.

As for insuring, saying what would be insured in Bill Walton's day 20+ years ago compared to now, doesn't really help.  Just because Bill Walton was insured then doesn't mean they will cover 8-9 million dollars worth of salary for a guy who is going on his 3rd knee surgery in 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:13:24 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
No, he'll get a BIG paycheck.  And the team will take an insurance policy out on him, in the event it doesn't work out, to cover the cost of his contract, after the team doctors and the insurance company doctors have checked him out

Getting out of a contract usually only covers career ending injuries.  If he plays 20 games, misses the rest of the season, plays sporadically, the team's generally SOL.  And those contracts still count against the cap, the insurance company just pays it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »
Not sure if Ziggy or someone could confirm this but I read online that Portland is still considering re-signing him?

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »
They'll consider it.  They've got the inside track to do it, since they can exceed the cap to keep him (Bird rights).  They need a center, since if Oden leaves, that leaves them with Przybilla and a ready-to-retire Camby.  And they'd hate to get Oden and get nothing out of him.
Joe

-----------