Author Topic: Lurker where are you!!?? Spurs sign Matty Bonner!  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Lurker where are you!!?? Spurs sign Matty Bonner!
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
to 4 years.  :D :D

Vancil are you still pushing the Bonner koolaid too?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Lurker where are you!!?? Spurs sign Matty Bonner!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Yes.  Yes, I am.  I believe that you need a stretch shooter to keep people from packing into a zone and frustrating Duncan like opponents did in the 2004 Olympics.  I believe that if you want the lane clear of players, to allow your Parkers and Ginobilis and Jeffersons to drive the lane easily, you need a stretch shooter like a Robert Horry or a Matt Bonner or a Michael Finley - or, for you, a Brent Barry or a Steve Kerr - to allow them to do it.

If Bonner decides to try and be an 18-ppg scorer, then sure, I'll call him out for it.  But that's not his role.  His role is to stretch the defense, and make sure that if Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum and Ron Artest all decide to swarm the lane, they pay for it.  I understand if you'd rather sign Mehmet Okur some better version of the same type of player, but to bad-mouth the fit that you need, that, I don't understand.

Is it the best way of doing things?  No, I don't think so.  But it *IS* the way your team does it, and has done it for years.

If you hate the way Popovich runs the team *SO* *MUCH*, jump ship.  I'm a Utah fan because I believe in Sloan's system.  Why exactly are you a Spurs fan?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »
Yes.  Yes, I am.  I believe that you need a stretch shooter to keep people from packing into a zone and frustrating Duncan like opponents did in the 2004 Olympics.  I believe that if you want the lane clear of players, to allow your Parkers and Ginobilis and Jeffersons to drive the lane easily, you need a stretch shooter like a Robert Horry or a Matt Bonner or a Michael Finley - or, for you, a Brent Barry or a Steve Kerr - to allow them to do it.

If Bonner decides to try and be an 18-ppg scorer, then sure, I'll call him out for it.  But that's not his role.  His role is to stretch the defense, and make sure that if Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum and Ron Artest all decide to swarm the lane, they pay for it.  I understand if you'd rather sign Mehmet Okur some better version of the same type of player, but to bad-mouth the fit that you need, that, I don't understand.
Did you watch the Spurs playoffs the last two years?
You have to do more then hit spread 3's *OR* you need to hit them at a good pace if you are a one trick pony 3 pt shooter only.  Mike Finley did well in 2007 doing just that. (After sucking in 2006).
Bonner is a one trick pony, he does virtually nothing else like other Spurs spread people did.
Don't let Bonners final 2010 shooting stats fool you, he was horrible for the 1st two games and that was an extension of a suckaroo 1-4 series loss to Dallas the previous year.
Those bricked threes were virtually all with no one near him, wide open looks.
When the series was virtually over in 2010 vs Phoenix, yes he began hitting some non pressure threes, like he does in the reg season non pressure games both YMCA and NBA.

Robert Horry, Bowen, Barrdog, Kerr in the same catagory as Bonner?  :D :D
Did you mean like this?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=230507024
All those players could pass, defend, tip passes, do all the little (and big) things that made Spurs the Champs.

Is it the best way of doing things?  No, I don't think so.  But it *IS* the way your team does it, and has done it for years.
So you approve or disapprove of Bonner being given key minutes in both 2009 and 2010?

If you hate the way Popovich runs the team *SO* *MUCH*, jump ship.  I'm a Utah fan because I believe in Sloan's system.  Why exactly are you a Spurs fan?
Timmy Dunks and GNobs being top players while maintaining humble, non prima donna personalities along with the rest of the Spurs prior to Finley.
I still held out hope that Popovich might contract some disease or something before he completely ruins the team.
The Spurs earning Championships fair and square, no rigged crap.
You will never, ever see a Spur wearing mascara and burqua hats.  Well, who knows what Popovich has in store next?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
hahahahahahahah

The Spurs became primadonnas when MICHAEL FINLEY, yes you read that right MICHAEL FLIPPIN FINLEY, came to town  ;D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com