Author Topic: The new and improved "Big Three". LeBron to Miami  (Read 4892 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The new and improved "Big Three". LeBron to Miami
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
Wow.  That team looks like a power house for years to come.  They need to fill in some roster spots but they have to be the favorites to win it all next year.  Very few teams can compete with the fire power that the Heat will put on the floor every night.  Not only can LeBron, Wade, and Bosh put up huge numbers but they are very good defenders when they put their minds to it.  Durring the Olympics when no one really needed to be the "go to guy", Bosh and Wade really shinned on defense.  Now that the trio has each other to rely on they should be a very strong defensive team.  Much like the Celtics model of two years ago, the Heat have catapulted themselves to be the favorites next year.

IMO the only teams that have a shot at beating the Heat is a HEALTHY Celtics and a more seasoned Magic, but the Magic shouldn't really scare the Heat.  We will have to see how the rest of the Heat roster shakes out but my initial reaction is WOW!!!!

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: The new and improved "Big Three". LeBron to Miami
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:21:08 PM »
Not next year - but maybe the year after. 

Essentially, Miami has 5 players, but it's a good five.  What they now have to do is build up the role players around them, and do it with minimum contracts (and trades for those minimum contracts).  That doesn't impress me as being easy.

I think ultimately, though, the way the Heat organization revered Alonzo Mourning and Tim Hardaway after their long years of service, Pat Riley and an organization committed to winning, a pleasant environment, and no state income tax made for a good recruiting combination.  Cleveland couldn't offer Riley, no income tax, and the pleasant environment.

Caleb said it well, though - the guy went from being the most popular basketball player on the planet to the most hated in one night.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »
UPDATE: Michael Beasley to the Timberwolves for a future 2nd-rounder and a swap of 1st-round picks (at some point in the future, as well).
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:36:54 AM »
Not next year - but maybe the year after. 

Essentially, Miami has 5 players, but it's a good five.  What they now have to do is build up the role players around them, and do it with minimum contracts (and trades for those minimum contracts).  That doesn't impress me as being easy.

I think ultimately, though, the way the Heat organization revered Alonzo Mourning and Tim Hardaway after their long years of service, Pat Riley and an organization committed to winning, a pleasant environment, and no state income tax made for a good recruiting combination.  Cleveland couldn't offer Riley, no income tax, and the pleasant environment.

Despite their roster being really thin, they are still a major force with those three guys on the floor at the same time.  I think you can put same very average players around those three and still go deep in to the playoffs.  With those three guys you will always have a guy on the floor that can get his own shot and hit open shooters.  It will be interesting to see who will line up to join the new "Dream Team" and how much of a pay cut they are willing to take.

No doubt the Heat is head and shoulders above the Cavs. 

Caleb said it well, though - the guy went from being the most popular basketball player on the planet to the most hated in one night.

I don't know about that.  I think people are starting to see some of the flaws with LeBron, but I don't think he's the most hated basketball player yet.  I get a laugh at the comments made by the Cavs owner.  NOW they are going to reach new levels of commitment to winning a ring?  Hellow IDIOT!  Get to that level of commitment when LeBron was on the squad and he never would have considered leaving.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »
UPDATE: Michael Beasley to the Timberwolves for a future 2nd-rounder and a swap of 1st-round picks (at some point in the future, as well).

The Heat should be looking for a starting center.  Boston still matches up decently with them, although now with Wade and LeBron to contend with I don't think they will be able to come close to containing them.  But they still could have an advantage in the front court.  I wonder is Shaq is up for one last horrah.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »

The Heat should be looking for a starting center.  Boston still matches up decently with them, although now with Wade and LeBron to contend with I don't think they will be able to come close to containing them.  But they still could have an advantage in the front court.  I wonder is Shaq is up for one last horrah.

In MIAMI?  A team he basically quit on?  MOURNING, out of retirement, is more likely, and that isn't happening.  Shaq in Miami?  Absolutely, no.

Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:00:52 AM »
In MIAMI?  A team he basically quit on?  MOURNING, out of retirement, is more likely, and that isn't happening.  Shaq in Miami?  Absolutely, no.

I guess the options left for Miami depends on what the "Big Three" actually sign for, since it is possible for them all to take less than max to clear some money to bring in support players.  The Heat are still likely to resemble a traveling all-star show, so it will be interesting if some mediocre players get their value raised by joining the show.

The Nets look like they missed the party, I wonder if they will stay calm or panic and over pay for some average player.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
I don't think they win it all next year.  The year after that is going to be a lock out so it could be a few years before they actually even get a title.  I still favor the Lakers and Celtics.  I think team cohesion, trust, and familiar faces go a long way in a tough series. While it looks a lot like the Celtics move and ultimate title that first season I think that the age of the players and roles were different.  Though I will be curious to see just how much Wade plays off the ball because if he adjusts right away then it very may well be lights out for the rest of the league.  I think Lebron would dominate the ball with Wade playing off screens and getting open, and Bosh doing his thing in the paint similar to the Pierce/Allen/Garnett combo but more athletic and younger.

As for their defense WOW is right.  They all stepped up their defensive games at the olympics and if they put their mind to it could really put a hurting on opposing teams offensive players.  Not only do they have the size and jumping ability they also have the speed and hand quickness.  The only problem I see them getting into is really just trying to out score the other team.  Outside of the Olympics those guys were not top notch defenders in this league once they came home.  The Celtics had Tim T probably the greatest defensive coach in the league help them.  I have doubt in the Miami Heat coaching staff at this point in matching that in the defensive category.

The NBA wins and loses this one.   They win where the Miami Heat will be talked about like no other all year long.  At the same time they could have had two powerhouse teams and a marketed rivalry between Miami and New York had Lebron bolted say to the Knicks.  Or even Chicago for that matter.  The story lines would have been there.  I wonder how David Stern really feels about this.  We would never get the real answer in public from him sadly.

Lebron also wins and loses this one.  He wins because its only so long before this core gets a ring.  The lock out might be the only thing that could stop them after they get a full year playing together under their belts.  He loses because well, his desire to want to be Michael Jordan went up in flames and to me it says "I know I can't beat them so I might as well join them".  If Michael Jordan had Clyde Drexler and David Robinson in their primes playing on his team I think he would win 82 games  :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:12:36 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
Not only can LeBron, Wade, and Bosh put up huge numbers but they are very good defenders when they put their minds to it

Bosh is an absolutely atrocious defender.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Not only can LeBron, Wade, and Bosh put up huge numbers but they are very good defenders when they put their minds to it

Did you watch the Olympics?  Bosh can be a very good defender but it's tough to put that much energy in to defense when you're the primary offensive weapon for you team.  IMO he looked excellent durring the olympics, I was very surprised by Bosh and DWade on defense.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »

Did you watch the Olympics?  Bosh can be a very good defender but it's tough to put that much energy in to defense when you're the primary offensive weapon for you team.  IMO he looked excellent durring the olympics, I was very surprised by Bosh and DWade on defense.

You mean the olympics with completely different rules and style of play?

I'd prefer to go based off of his 7 nba seasons.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »

You mean the olympics with completely different rules and style of play?

I'd prefer to go based off of his 7 nba seasons.

Bosh can be a very good defender but it's tough to put that much energy in to defense when you're the primary offensive weapon for you team.

I guess we will see now that Bosh is not the number 1 offensive option.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
There is one thing that Miami is especially susceptible to:  *INJURY*.  Bosh goes down with a bum knee, and Miami is in major trouble.

It's a big gamble, and, if successful, it will be the most successful example of winning via free agency EVER.  Well, actually, the ONLY instance.  Up until now, the best free-agent-winning example I can give you is Utah's Boozer/Okur signings.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
There is one thing that Miami is especially susceptible to:  *INJURY*.  Bosh goes down with a bum knee, and Miami is in major trouble.

It's a big gamble, and, if successful, it will be the most successful example of winning via free agency EVER.  Well, actually, the ONLY instance.  Up until now, the best free-agent-winning example I can give you is Utah's Boozer/Okur signings.

Lakers and Shaq sir!

Don't forget Wade has not been entirely 100% over the past 3 season himself.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »

Lakers and Shaq sir!

Don't forget Wade has not been entirely 100% over the past 3 season himself.

Okay, that was truly a DUH! moment.

I don't know why I keep forgetting that O'Neal went to the Lakers via free agency when I try to think of where a free agent essentially changed the fortune of a team.

Thanks for the bucket of icewater to wake me up.
Joe

-----------