Author Topic: Let the LeBron party begin  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Let the LeBron party begin
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
might as well give this its own thread.

NJ will get 1st crack at pitching to LeBron, if Yahoo Sports is to be believed quoting "league sources".
Btw, how are "league sources" allowed to comment prior to free agency signing on which teams will or will not be visiting LeBron??

If Bosh will go where LeBron goes, it's on in Jersey or wherever he goes. 
Jersey also trying to get Sam Presti from OKC as GM.  I approve!

6 teams purported to be in the running.
Nets, New York Knicks get 1st crack on July 1st.
Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBUhWWC2mvHqAZG_LdhOK.8vLYF?slug=aw-lebronjayz062510

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Let the LeBron party begin
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Here are the latest rumors:

New Jersey is meeting with Wade and Bosh this coming weekend, ahead of their meeting with Lebron.  Miami obviously has meetings set with Bosh and Wade as well.

New York Knicks seem to be taking themselves out of the running and are looking to go with Amare Stoudamire and Joe Johnson (PHX East clearly) as Lebron is definitely not a sure thing.

The Clippers are more likely to look for teams trying to unload talent for cheap to cut spending in fear of the lock out than they are to really push for Lebron.

To me the only people in the running is New Jersey, Miami, Chicago, and Cleveland.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:51:02 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
Ric Bucher is saying the Lebron and Bosh deal is a done deal.  His source is an NBA executive....

Interesting???

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »
Ric Bucher is saying the Lebron and Bosh deal is a done deal.  His source is an NBA executive....

Interesting???

To where?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:49 PM »

Interesting???

To where?

Oh my bad.... to Chicago.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
Does anyone else think that there will be clubs that protest the "free agent summit" that James, Bosh, and Wade held, and try to get some restrictive language put in the next CBA?  I'm kind of surprised that it's not been made into a bigger deal.

I still have James in Cleveland, and acquiring Bosh in a sign-and-trade, or James and Bosh joining Wade in state-income-tax-free Miami.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
Does anyone else think that there will be clubs that protest the "free agent summit" that James, Bosh, and Wade held, and try to get some restrictive language put in the next CBA?  I'm kind of surprised that it's not been made into a bigger deal.

I still have James in Cleveland, and acquiring Bosh in a sign-and-trade, or James and Bosh joining Wade in state-income-tax-free Miami.

I just can't imagine Lebron playing along side another ball-dominant player like Wade or Rose.  IMO Bosh is a perfect match for either Lebron or Wade, perfect complimentary player.  Rumors abound regarding NY conceeding the Lebron sweepstakes and focusing on JJ and Amare to create 7 seconds Suns-East.  That would be par for the course in NY, good players getting paid great player money to make the playoffs and not sniff a title.  In 3 years we will be talking about the horrid contracts and the cap limitations that NY has created for themselves.

I thought the Cavs had a decent team, a legit title team, they just need to add another piece and move some dead weight.  The Cavs don't have the money to add the right piece nor do I think some team is going to help them out with a trade or sign and trade.  It's going to be tough for the Cavs to keep Lebron is he's truely focused on winning a title.  The problem is going to be what need do the address, what is really going to get them over the hump?  Outside shooting to spread the floor or a post presence?

Where do you go Joe?  How do you tweak the Cavs to put them over the top?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

I just can't imagine Lebron playing along side another ball-dominant player like Wade or Rose.  IMO Bosh is a perfect match for either Lebron or Wade, perfect complimentary player.  Rumors abound regarding NY conceeding the Lebron sweepstakes and focusing on JJ and Amare to create 7 seconds Suns-East.  That would be par for the course in NY, good players getting paid great player money to make the playoffs and not sniff a title.  In 3 years we will be talking about the horrid contracts and the cap limitations that NY has created for themselves.

I thought the Cavs had a decent team, a legit title team, they just need to add another piece and move some dead weight.  The Cavs don't have the money to add the right piece nor do I think some team is going to help them out with a trade or sign and trade.  It's going to be tough for the Cavs to keep Lebron is he's truely focused on winning a title.  The problem is going to be what need do the address, what is really going to get them over the hump?  Outside shooting to spread the floor or a post presence?

I re-sign Shaq for a one-year, incentive-laden contract, with a TEAM OPTION for a second year, with the second year guaranteed if the team wins the championship.  I look at sign-and-trade possibilities to bring in Chris Bosh, and I'm willing to give up Antawn Jamison, the young guy (I always forget his name), and a draft pick to get him.  Also, I make a play for Ray Allen, and see if he's willing to sign for the cap exception.  If I get Allen, I dump Gibson for whatever I can get for him in terms of future draft picks.  I also consider shopping Mo Williams for Ray Felton in a sign-and-trade, or, better yet, if possible, Chris Paul (or Darren Collison) in a trade.  If it costs me Delonte West, I'm okay with that assuming I get Ray Allen.  Look at picking up Udonis Haslem if he's willing to take the veterans minimum.

I go after as top notch a coach as I can get.  Whoever it is will have had to coach in the past - no "rookie coaches."  (See how the Mike Brown era ended.)  Jeff Van Gundy and Byron Scott would be my two top options.  I go after Kevin Pritchard for my front office.

I lay it out for LeBron that this is my game-plan, and I encourage him to hold off on signing with anyone,  locking everyone up option-wise based on the fact that LeBron isn't off the table, and giving me the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.  By locking everyone else up, it allows him to face a league that will be less competitive because of less familiarity.  And if it doesn't work out, then he can sign elsewhere.  But the idea is to convince LeBron that I'm a serious organization that competes off-the-court as well as on, that wants him to play his hand to the best possible extent in terms of guaranteeing himself a championship, and captialize on his notoriety at a time when he can best do it.  In other words, convince him everything that he does in his interest in holding out (and allowing me to operate) is a competitive advantage.

The upside to this (from my point of view) is that if other pieces start to fall, LeBron is more than likely staying (since his options are reduced), and if other pieces DON'T start to fall, the LeBron is probably staying (since my plan will be in motion).

Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »

I re-sign Shaq for a one-year, incentive-laden contract, with a TEAM OPTION for a second year, with the second year guaranteed if the team wins the championship.  I look at sign-and-trade possibilities to bring in Chris Bosh, and I'm willing to give up Antawn Jamison, the young guy (I always forget his name), and a draft pick to get him.  Also, I make a play for Ray Allen, and see if he's willing to sign for the cap exception.  If I get Allen, I dump Gibson for whatever I can get for him in terms of future draft picks.  I also consider shopping Mo Williams for Ray Felton in a sign-and-trade, or, better yet, if possible, Chris Paul (or Darren Collison) in a trade.  If it costs me Delonte West, I'm okay with that assuming I get Ray Allen.  Look at picking up Udonis Haslem if he's willing to take the veterans minimum.

I go after as top notch a coach as I can get.  Whoever it is will have had to coach in the past - no "rookie coaches."  (See how the Mike Brown era ended.)  Jeff Van Gundy and Byron Scott would be my two top options.  I go after Kevin Pritchard for my front office.

I lay it out for LeBron that this is my game-plan, and I encourage him to hold off on signing with anyone,  locking everyone up option-wise based on the fact that LeBron isn't off the table, and giving me the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.  By locking everyone else up, it allows him to face a league that will be less competitive because of less familiarity.  And if it doesn't work out, then he can sign elsewhere.  But the idea is to convince LeBron that I'm a serious organization that competes off-the-court as well as on, that wants him to play his hand to the best possible extent in terms of guaranteeing himself a championship, and captialize on his notoriety at a time when he can best do it.  In other words, convince him everything that he does in his interest in holding out (and allowing me to operate) is a competitive advantage.

The upside to this (from my point of view) is that if other pieces start to fall, LeBron is more than likely staying (since his options are reduced), and if other pieces DON'T start to fall, the LeBron is probably staying (since my plan will be in motion).

Way too much to happen IMO Joe.  I was thinking something along the lines of a sign and trade with the Raptors for Bosh.  Too many variables in your scenario Joe.  From what I've read teams are going to have a hard time trying to get Bosh since he will be leaving about 30 million on the table is he doesn't do a sign and trade.  Bosh does not have the endorsements that Wade and Lebron have so he needs to get his money with a new contract.  The Wade/Bosh or Lebron/Bosh dream pairing might be tough.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

Way too much to happen IMO Joe.  I was thinking something along the lines of a sign and trade with the Raptors for Bosh.  Too many variables in your scenario Joe.  From what I've read teams are going to have a hard time trying to get Bosh since he will be leaving about 30 million on the table is he doesn't do a sign and trade.  Bosh does not have the endorsements that Wade and Lebron have so he needs to get his money with a new contract.  The Wade/Bosh or Lebron/Bosh dream pairing might be tough.

Bosh doesn't make endorsement money like that because he plays in Canada.  Soon as he hits the states and joins Wade or Bron, that money is going to come in on the back of a dump truck.  It is not if but when really.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »

I don't disagree that this is a lot of work.  But a team that has championship aspirations needs to be doing this kind of work.  And it's not like we've not seen a team put forth this kind of work before;  it's what got Garnett plus Allen to Boston, because, if you recall, Garnett didn't want to come initially.  But Boston did it's leg-work, got the pieces in place, and hung a championship banner because of it.

If an organization wants to convince LeBron that it's really serious about winning, then it needs to do more than just show him it can spend money, because, in future years, that money isn't going to be there.  Show me you can make major changes *WITHOUT* needing to entirely gut your team to do it and then sign a high-dollar free agent.

Let's say LeBron signs in Miami, along with Wade and Bosh, and one week into the season, Bosh tears an Achilles.  He's not able to make it back this year, and when he does come back, he's lost his explosive jump, and is carrying one heck of a contract for a lot of years.  What does Miami do?  They can't just sign someone new.  Can their front office work cleverly, or is it just going to be "wait until Bosh's contract is up"?

I say that going through the crazy complicated way of doing things does more to show LeBron that the organization is serious about winning than signing 2 or 3 free agents does.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Okay I am starting to think this is a little weird.  I guess Chris Bosh didn't feel any sparks with Wade on their 'free agent date'  :D

"Just had dinner w @dwadeofficial. Great way to end day 1 of #freeagency although it feels like someone is missing...... http://say.ly/FrP2L8"

Reality can you change the title to something more about free agency in general so we can stick to one thread?

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Looks like Atlanta kept Allan Houston....er...Joe Johnson by offering him the max deal for what he's already accomplished.

Toronto and Minnesota are busy wasting money.

I'm hearing Mike Miller is in play for the Lakers.  Great fit skill-wise, but whose minutes will he be taking, and just how good do you think his defense will be?

ESPN made reference to Kovver going somewhere, but they didn't say where, and I've not seen anything at all said about Korver, although I do think Utah will be jettisoning him, figuring on going with the rookie 1st-rounder out of Butler.

Word is that Amare is looking seriously at New York (as I called).

Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »
One advantage the Knicks purportedly have is they can offer LeBron stock in either Cablevision (James Dolan owns and Knicks are under that umbrella) or MSG which is on the NASDAQ
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSG
I didn't like hearing this, i still want him and at least Bosh on the Nets.

Looks like Atlanta kept Allan Houston....er...Joe Johnson by offering him the max deal for what he's already accomplished.
He's also gonna pass Mike Finley on career extortion money.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »
One advantage the Knicks purportedly have is they can offer LeBron stock in either Cablevision (James Dolan owns and Knicks are under that umbrella) or MSG which is on the NASDAQ
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSG
I didn't like hearing this, i still want him and at least Bosh on the Nets.

He's also gonna pass Mike Finley on career extortion money.

They won't be able to offer him stock on top of what they are paying him.  Reason being is that would side step the CBA and give unfair advantages to teams like The Knicks, Sixers, and even Miami (Owner of Carnival Cruise Lines).  How could you measure cap space to pay players in terms of stocks that go up and down through out the course of a season?

Now they could offer to do side deals with him like his own channel or offer him a huge contract to endorse their company in commercials but they can't flat out offer him stocks on top of his salary like that.