Author Topic: Colorado bolts to Pac-10, Nebraska soon to Big 10  (Read 1983 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Colorado bolts to Pac-10, Nebraska soon to Big 10
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
What do the rest of you think about all the changes happening in college conferences?

I fully expect the Pac-16 to be the Pac-10, Colorado, Texas, A&M, TTech, OU, and OSU.

Since this is breaking up the Big 12 perhaps we can finally get Skander to post on something?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Colorado bolts to Pac-10, Nebraska soon to Big 10
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
What do the rest of you think about all the changes happening in college conferences?

I fully expect the Pac-16 to be the Pac-10, Colorado, Texas, A&M, TTech, OU, and OSU.

Since this is breaking up the Big 12 perhaps we can finally get Skander to post on something?

I saw a headline about that somewhere.  I don't follow college football much other than the ocassional USC or UCLA game.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
I think USC is in really bad shape with the slap down from the NCAA and these teams joining the conference at the same time.

To be honest though I don't really know why this is happening.  I haven't been paying close enough attention outside of small tidbits on sports radio here and there.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »
I went to Penn State, which used to be independent and found itself squeezed out of championships and the like because of the political influence of the conferences.  It became tougher and tougher for Penn State to be able to put together a schedule because of conference conflicts and rules.

Also, Penn States other athletic programs, like Basketball and Baseball, which didn't garner much interest, became stronger as a result of having to compete as part of the Big 10.

Penn State's football program has not been hurt, and in some instances helped by it's association with the Big 10.  They don't appear to win quite as much, but it's hard to say why as every season there were always other programs that were putting out excellent football teams, even when they weren't part of the conference, and they never ducked a good team while trying to get the national title.

The main benefit for Penn State, is that when they are good enough to compete for a title, the entire Big 10 is behind them, and their political clout ensures that they get consideration.

I think that other programs are running into the same problem, or are in conferences that are too small or weak for the school. The Big 10 has 11 teams, now it will have to be renamed if Nebraska joins. I also wonder what will happen to Notre Dame, they too run an independent program, and used to have a fan base that enabled them to get away with it. Not anymore, that program is dying and needs to be a part of a bigger group to keep it going through the lean years.