Author Topic: Congrats on the #2 overall pick Philly.  (Read 2511 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Congrats on the #2 overall pick Philly.
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
Some good players in the draft this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Congrats on the #2 overall pick Philly.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
The Lottery is now officially my least favorite thing in sports.   
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »
I was actually watching it and everything seemed to be going according to the odds when they got to the team before the Sixers, then two of the top 3 teams dropped and the Sixers who started with a 5% chance of getting the top pick were still waiting. When it got down to NJ, Philly and Washington all three teams in the same division, I was happy knowing the Sixers would get at least #3. At least the Sixers were able to beat out NJ for the 2nd pick, and Washington gutted their team so even John Wall isn't going to turn them around overnight.

With the 2nd overall pick the Sixers have a great chance to add a contributor to their squad. They have done a great job of drafting even when they didn't have a great pick. I think they really need another big man but I'm not sure if any of this year's prospects are going to be elite NBA players.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »

Tough break.

DB/Rick any idea who the team is looking at or what player would fit best?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »

Tough break.

I'm not sure what the team is thinking, but having the pick gives them options. They might try to trade the pick in order to get rid of Brand or Iguodala. They may try to trade down and take a lower draft pick to get a big and swap a player as well.

There is a big debate over whether the Sixers should keep their current roster and tweak it or blow it up since their last season was so terrible. I think that Eddie Jordan was a complete moron and with a better coach, we would have a clearer idea of what we need. I think we're pretty well set at guard with Holiday and Williams and Iguodala. We may need another small forward, but I think between Young and Carney we're ok. It's at power forward and Center where the Sixers need the most help. Dalembert is as good as he's going to get and he and Brand together aren't' going to be competitive against Boston.  Smith and Speights are players, but it's not clear how good they are or whether they are good enough to be starters.

Because of the salary cap problems, getting rid of Brand may end up being their priority. He isn't the answer to the Sixer half-court problems. He can't defend Garnett or Perkins or stand in front of Big Baby or even out-rebound Rasheed Wallace. He's too slow to defend the three and too short to play the 4 against good teams and he's being payed too much. It's a real shame since I like him as a player, but he isn't a good fit with Dalembert. 

Even if we could replace Dalembert with Dwight Howard, I still don't think Brand and he would be an elite front line. So if the Sixers could get rid of Brand and replace him with a top front line player that would be my ideal scenario.  I suppose that depends on what kind of deal the Sixers can work. Anyone who is willing to take Brand and his contract could get a sweet deal.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »

I know the Sixers like Evan Turner.  A lot.  And were considering trading up to try to get him.

BTW, I was credentialed for the lottery, and was at sitting at a table with Jonathan Givony (DraftExpress) and Chris Wallace (GM of the Grizzlies) when the order was announced.  When the Sixers weren't announced at 6, I did my best and tried to remain professional.  When the Nets were announced as 3, I had to excuse myself.  Probably the most exciting moment for this franchise since AI.