Author Topic: Can a coach be traded?  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Can a coach be traded?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
I don't believe there is a rule against it.  In the case you refer to, the Spurs would have to have the cap space to absorb the entire amount of Bosh's contract.  If they choose to send a coach back in return there is nothing in the rules that restrict that.  The trade rules are a part of the collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners.  They just have to follow those rules, and coaches are not a part of that CBA.
FinleyBonner, Jefferson and Pop in exchange for Bosh.

<sarcasm>
I'll bet Colangelo is just going to jump all over that one.  He loves Popovich's run-and-gun game.
<sarcasm off>

Essentially, you've offered Jefferson for Bosh.  No way Toronto does that.  If you want Bosh, make sure to include Tony Parker (or Tim Duncan) in the deal.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »
<sarcasm>
I'll bet Colangelo is just going to jump all over that one.  He loves Popovich's run-and-gun game.
<sarcasm off>
Apparantly Jefferson loves it too.  ;)
http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5695.0

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »
I don't believe there is a rule against it.  In the case you refer to, the Spurs would have to have the cap space to absorb the entire amount of Bosh's contract.  If they choose to send a coach back in return there is nothing in the rules that restrict that.  The trade rules are a part of the collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners.  They just have to follow those rules, and coaches are not a part of that CBA.

So Man of RealGenius...is Bosh the player-coach?

Or are you just again showing your true lack of understanding of professional basketball?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »

So Man of RealGenius...is Bosh the player-coach?

Or are you just again showing your true lack of understanding of professional basketball?

Obviously the deal would include Jay Triano.  The San Antonio Spurs program has been dying for a real coach to go down there to help them win championships.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
Lenny Wilkens was a player coach in Seattle and Portland and was traded I believe between the two teams.

EDIT- Wilkens was player coach for Seattle from 69-72.  He then was traded to and played for Cleveland for 2 years and then was sold to Portland and was a player coach in 74-75 and just coach in 75-76
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:54:24 PM by marklapinski »