Author Topic: Phil Jackson takes shots at Sterling  (Read 2165 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Phil Jackson takes shots at Sterling
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
SOURCE: http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/01/16/jackson-pokes-sterling-lakers-destroy-clippers/

Phil Jackson took some shots at Clippers? owner Donald Sterling last night before the Lakers-Clippers game. Jackson was asked about the Clippers? curse and said he didn?t believe in curses, but he does believe in something even more realistic.

?I do think there is karma in effect ultimately.?

?I can?t claim anybody else?s karma. That?s their own making, whatever it is.

?If you do a good mitzvah [a Jewish term for an act of kindness], maybe you can eliminate some of those things. You don?t think Sterling?s done enough mitzvahs to eliminate some of those??

Jackson also added a sarcastic, ?I think he?s well-liked,? at the end of the interview. ESPN thinks Jackson might have been referring to the $2.73 million Sterling paid in a government settlement for refusing to rent apartments to Latinos, blacks and families with children. I guess karma would come into play there. If you believe in that kind of voodoo.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Phil Jackson takes shots at Sterling
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
My Name is Earl Jackson.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/110905&sportCat=nba

I'm amazed that I've never head about Sterling and racism/discrimination.  I heard plenty about Jerry Buss's drunk driving issue and hundreds of less offensive transgressions from hundreds of other people. 

Didn't realize I was giving money to an a-hole like Sterling, I could of at least used Sterling's racism to get a couple more free tickets from my sales rep.  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/110905&sportCat=nba

I'm amazed that I've never head about Sterling and racism/discrimination.  I heard plenty about Jerry Buss's drunk driving issue and hundreds of less offensive transgressions from hundreds of other people. 

Didn't realize I was giving money to an a-hole like Sterling, I could of at least used Sterling's racism to get a couple more free tickets from my sales rep.  ;D

Same here.  I am curious why, even after the rulling, the first place I hear about it is ESPN.  Not the LA Times, not in a local write up, not on local talk radio, nothing.   I care more about Sterling denying to rent places to minorities and families more than I do Gilbert Arenas pulling a gun out on some d-list player we traded a few years back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »
I too am surprised you guys didn't hear about this.   I swear I read a blurb about it in the Mpls paper.

Other sports figures figures (Marge Schott, Jimmy the Greek, Al Campanis) have been ruined for saying racist or ignorant things but Sterling actually practices discrimination and still he stays on.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
I too am surprised you guys didn't hear about this.   I swear I read a blurb about it in the Mpls paper.

Other sports figures figures (Marge Schott, Jimmy the Greek, Al Campanis) have been ruined for saying racist or ignorant things but Sterling actually practices discrimination and still he stays on.

One thing I do remember is when Elgin Baylor got fired he did make negative references to Sterling that had "racial" overtones.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"