Author Topic: REgion Free DVD Player versus Converting  (Read 1706 times)

jemagee

REgion Free DVD Player versus Converting
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »
So one of my g/f's favorite shows of all time is a BBC show that isn't available in America on DVD yet...on a lark i popped the show name into ebay and found that all the eps are available in a DVD box set for a reasonable price, but they are region 2 (PAL?) compatible.

I've done a little research and found that it's possible to convert them to Region 1 DVD players through ripping, buring, etc...but found people pointing to region free DVD players.

Does anyone have some good direction towards a 'budget' region free dvd player, doesn't need to upsample or hidef or anything, just needs to play these region 2 discs so I can give her a birthday present....i prefer the region free also because it just looks better to play the 'actual' DVD's

Thanks in advance

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: REgion Free DVD Player versus Converting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
You can convert the region setting for the DVD player in your PC.  I've read that some PC DVD players only let you do it once but almost everyone I know has a spare one lying around.   You can search the web on how to hack the DVD model you have in your PC.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
You can convert the region setting for the DVD player in your PC.  I've read that some PC DVD players only let you do it once but almost everyone I know has a spare one lying around.   You can search the web on how to hack the DVD model you have in your PC.

I'm looking for a 'tv' version so she can wtach it on the tv if possible

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
You can convert the region setting for the DVD player in your PC.  I've read that some PC DVD players only let you do it once but almost everyone I know has a spare one lying around.   You can search the web on how to hack the DVD model you have in your PC.

You should have a TV out connection on your PC or a TV that has an SVGA connection.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »

You should have a TV out connection on your PC or a TV that has an SVGA connection.

Or if you have a PS3/XBOX (not sure if you do or not Jem) you can stream it to the TV from the computer.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
I do have an xbox 360 - i hadn't thought about that possiblity - i'll take a look at it thanks