Author Topic: Too bad the Phillies didn't follow the Sixers and Eagles lead.  (Read 3452 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Too bad the Phillies didn't follow the Sixers and Eagles lead.
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
The Sixers had no problem with the Knicks even though the game went into OT, don't confuse ability or talent with strange coaching.  It's still early and the Sixers look very good, the coach should be allowed some leeway in deciding on his rotation. I'd like to see it done in a more systematic way, however, as different players should be getting the minutes that are available, and not playing the young ones is a bad thing after they have shown ability.  Beating the Knicks like a drum was a good hint for the Phillies.

The Eagles did even better, as they managed to make the Giants look absolutely awful on both sides of the ball. Eli Manning threw up interceptions, special teams gave up fumbles, the defense got torched on two running plays that got into the end zone. Donovan McNabb looked fantastic throwing the ball to 3 different players for 3 TD's, 240 yds. and no interceptions.  40-17  blowout.

Then the Phillies blew the trifecta, letting the Yankees take the lead right back after the Phillies had tied the game. A few more runs and the game was over, why the Phillies are buying into the Rivera mystique is beyond me.

Anyway Monday is another game with out stud player Cliff Lee on the mound, and that should help. I realized the Yankees are a good team, but I also think the Phillies have some fight in them. Their bats need to wake up enough for the Yankees to feel shell-shocked tonight to put some zing back into the series from their perspective. They are still World Champions right now, and they can still be after tonight is over.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Too bad the Phillies didn't follow the Sixers and Eagles lead.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:38 PM »
How about that? An 8 run hit fest for the Phillies, which could have been much worse as many of the runs were homers with the bases empty. At least Jimmie Rollins got it going in the first inning. Chase Utley has been the star bat for the Phillies, his performance in the Series is amazing and may end up being a broken record for the most home runs by a player in a World Series.

Still, 8-6 isn't nearly as impressive as 8-2. There's no question the Yankees are a great team and every bit as deserving. They have no quit in them and put up a great fight, turning this game into one of the most exciting of the Series.

The Phillies now go back to NY behind 3-2, facing a two game elimination round. They are not going to go down easily, don't be surprised if the Phils. continue their slugfest in Yankee stadium.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
Talking radio head out here said Cole Hamels "can't wait for this season to get over".

True, False, context?

Lee is your stud this playoffs, not Hamels.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
True.  After game 3 he was being grilled by reporters and he said that this season has just been really rough and he can't wait for it to be over so he can get a fresh start next season.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
On that note do you want him starting should the Phils force Game 7?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
On that note do you want him starting should the Phils force Game 7?

Hell no! It really bothers me that he would say something like that. He should be having more fun right now than at any time in his life. Pitching in a World Series, while celebrating the birth of his Son. I would think he would love every minute of it.

Besides I want JA Happ to get his shot in a game 7. I thought he had earned more respect, or it may simply be that Manuel liked the flexibility Happ gave him as someone who could provide relief as well as starting pitching, but he deserves his chance now. Face it, they'll throw every arm out there that they can in a game 7 if they have to!

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:45:16 AM »
True.  After game 3 he was being grilled by reporters and he said that this season has just been really rough and he can't wait for it to be over so he can get a fresh start next season.

ANd it got blown completely out of proportion - I'm waiting for the disproportionate response to Andy Pettite whining about starting on 3 days rest...

Hamels has had a hard season but he hasn't pitched as badly as it seems but the abuse he receives you'd think he was god awful - and he's not pitching well right now - I think he was just commenting on how hard a season it was for him, sadly it's probably the beginning of the end for him with the fans, which means he'll be gone soon...maybe for a sack of balls like Abreu got given away for.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »
To me this is where a strong coach needs to step up and make adjustments.  Either get Hamels head right or do the right thing and start Happ.  Or pitcher by committee, whatever it takes.

After that double steal fiasco by Damon and then pitching to ARod i have almost no faith in Manuel.
Radio said NY knew all about the Texaira defensive switch and practiced just such a scenario.
Manuel seemed utterly clueless and Lidges comments are the icing on the cake.

So many good perfomances wasted in that game.  Madson and the other reliever were great.  Even Lidge was good before his obvious crack up.  (which to me was hitting Texaria).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:30:20 AM by Reality »