Author Topic: Lee pitches a complete game, 5-1 Phillies win!  (Read 2469 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Lee pitches a complete game, 5-1 Phillies win!
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »
A commanding performance by Lee, pretty dominating in his first post-season start. Jimmy Rollins made some great catches on a very windy day. Phils bats did what they needed to do, very nice start for them.

Colorado unable to even get the Phils' bullpen.

jemagee

Re: Lee pitches a complete game, 5-1 Phillies win!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
Jimenez was strong until the 5th - a nice at bat by jayson werth, 7/8 pitches that led to a walk seemed to rattle jimeneze - rest of the inning his control seemed shakey (then i ended my 90 minute lunch and went back to work).

Strong start from Cliff Lee - Hamels I'm sure would have been fine - but nice to give the 'new guy' the start since he got the shaft from the indians in the 2007 series against the sox.

Much better start than 2007 against the rockies - god that series sucked. 

Weather forecast in colorado for sunday - 36 degrees -

Colorado should have a damn dome

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
The Phils got to Jiminez. That's how good their bats are, they can really hit, and it puts a lot of pressure on the Pitcher to keep control. He got a little out of control and served up some easy pitches. Very good sign for the Phils.  Lee is an absolute stud, glad we got him.

The wind made the ball do some wild things, Phils were much better fielding. Maybe a bit luckier, but they put more balls in play.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »
The Phils got to Jiminez. That's how good their bats are, they can really hit, and it puts a lot of pressure on the Pitcher to keep control. He got a little out of control and served up some easy pitches. Very good sign for the Phils.  Lee is an absolute stud, glad we got him.

There was a specific moment at which Jimenez fell apart - and it wasn't a hit - it was a patient 8 pitch at bat by jayson werth to lead off the fifth...at that point Jimenez seemed to lose the strong control he had up until that point...I want to make sure Werth gets credit cause I feel that at bat was the turning point of the game and it wasn't the 'bat' - it was the patience and taking a strong approach and realiziing that leading off an inning with a patient strong at bat that leads to a walk is just as good as a single (yeah you jimmy ' i should bat sixth' rollins)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »

There was a specific moment at which Jimenez fell apart - and it wasn't a hit - it was a patient 8 pitch at bat by jayson werth to lead off the fifth...at that point Jimenez seemed to lose the strong control he had up until that point...I want to make sure Werth gets credit cause I feel that at bat was the turning point of the game and it wasn't the 'bat' - it was the patience and taking a strong approach and realiziing that leading off an inning with a patient strong at bat that leads to a walk is just as good as a single (yeah you jimmy ' i should bat sixth' rollins)

I agree it was Werth's at bat that did it. When I say their bats, I mean everything about hitting- their eye and discipline to lay off a pitch, their swinging at any ball over the plate whether it becomes a foul or not.  Nothing annoys a pitcher more than a tough out, or throwing 8 pitches and giving up a hit.  But what broke him wasn't that one at bat, that was the start-but how the next batters came out and worked the count. I thought Ruiz and Ibanez had great at bats as well.

The Phillies hitters keep coming at you, all through the lineup  just one little slip up and they're all over it. That's a lot of pressure on a pitcher to perform.  Jiminez was solid though 5 innings, and then the dam broke...

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »
  But what broke him wasn't that one at bat, that was the start-but how the next batters came out and worked the count. I thought Ruiz and Ibanez had great at bats as well.

And Feliz swinging at that 2-0 pitch that was way outside STILL aggravates me...i was watching in a bar with no sound but someone mentioned it might have been a hit and run - was it?

I really hope Jimmy Rollins was paying attention to werths PA yesterday cause that was a solid 'lead of hitter' plate appearance