Author Topic: Gooden is gone, Spurs fans?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Gooden is gone, Spurs fans?
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4356529

Gooden said good bye to the Spurs and bolted a little farther north.  Not a major blow but def does not help that the Spurs lost him.  Lurker, x3?  What is your take?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gooden is gone, Spurs fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »
Obviously Gooden didn't impress in his short run with the Spurs.  They never seemed interested in bringing him back and once they drafted Blair & signed McDyess I knew he was gone.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:38 AM »
Obviously Gooden didn't impress in his short run with the Spurs.  They never seemed interested in bringing him back and once they drafted Blair & signed McDyess I knew he was gone.

Though it still is an active and young body in the paint that the squad lost.  Gooden's numbers were not stellar with the Spurs but do you honestly think Blair can make up for it?

I felt like the McDyess signing was to replace Kurt Thomas's minutes?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

Though it still is an active and young body in the paint that the squad lost.  Gooden's numbers were not stellar with the Spurs but do you honestly think Blair can make up for it?

I think Blair can pull down more than 4 boards in 17 minutes (Gooden's actual perofrmance)...possibly even with 1 hand tied behind his back.  Also there were some small rumblings that Gooden couldn't stay focused on defense (d'oh!) or run the offensive sets.  Losing focus on defense is the quickest way out of a Spurs uni.

I felt like the McDyess signing was to replace Kurt Thomas's minutes?

Thomas and Gooden both averaged around 15-17 minutes.  Blair, Mahinmi and McDyess should easily cover those minutes.  And now Ratliff was added as insurance.

I think the Spurs were hoping that Gooden would prove to be worth re-signing.  He basically was given a 2 month tryout to earn a new contract.  That the Spurs decided to use their MLE on McDyess instead of Gooden says everything in my book.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
my reaction about Dallas signing Gooden was, "...meh..."  I agree with Lurker.  Blair will work out well for us... ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.