Author Topic: HBO Special Assult in the Ring  (Read 1183 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
HBO Special Assult in the Ring
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
Story of the 1983 fight between Luis Resto and Billy Collins Jr.  I highly recommend it.  Fascinating story.

Resto was a journeyman, and this was his one last shot to earn a possible shot at a title fight.  Billy Collins was an up-and-coming fighter, undefeated.  This would be a last springboard to a title shot.

Resto and his trainer (Panama Lewis) and his corner men, removed a bunch of padding from Resto's gloves before the fight.  Resto proceeded to beat the crap out of Collins.  At the end Collins face looked about like Eric Stoltz in Mask.  Collins corner felt Resto's gloves after the fight, and said they were tampered with, and they were confiscated and and investigation ensued.  Collins suffered a torn iris in his eye, never fought again, and died a year later in a car accident.  Resto and Panama Lewis spent 2 years in prison, and were barred for life from boxing.  Panama Lewis was the trainer for Aaron Pryor when he defeated Alexis Arguello.  This was the fight where Lewis asked for the water bottle "I mixed up" and Pryor proceeded to beat Arguello senseless after drinking that "mixed water".

Resto spent the next 25 years wracked with guilt and a broken man, and Panama Lewis spent the next 25 years training fighter outside the ring denying everything, and shows himself to be not that far removed from a sociopath.  Though this wasn't specifically a outright case of performance enhancing drug abuse (the water mix could be seen that way), it is in my mind is the logical conclusion of where sports would go if we allowed uncontrolled PED's in sports.  The glove may not have been a PED, but it wasn't all that much different.

Anyway, if you get the chance you should watch it.  It is shocking, sad, redemptive, and tragic all at the same time.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HBO Special Assult in the Ring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
Will check it out sir, thanks for the recommendation.

Sometimes I forget HBO has a lot of programing outside of my show 'Entourage' and the random movies it has on.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com