Author Topic: Interesting article on the Spurs, they will be well over the luxury tax...  (Read 1274 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
FREE AGENCY, NBA, SPURS, TRADE TALK
2009 Teams With Cap Concerns: San Antonio
In Free Agency, General NBA, Trade Talk on June 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm
This is an update to an earlier post following the acquisition of Richard Jefferson.

San Antonio Spurs? Salaries

Let?s start off by looking at who is currently on the Spurs? books for next season.

Here are the contracts over five million dollars

Tim Duncan ? $22.18 million
Richard Jefferson ? $14.2 million
Tony Parker ? $12.6 million
Manu Ginobili ? $10.73 million
That totals $59.71 million for four players.

Manu Ginobili will be entering the final year of his deal. Meanwhile, Tony Parker and Richard Jefferson have two more to go, and Tim Duncan three years to play on his contract.

Now let?s have a look at the rest of their contracts

Roger Mason Jr ? $3.78mil
Matt Bonner ? $3.26mil
George Hill ? $1.08mil
Ian Mahinmi ? $900k
These four contracts add up to $9.02 million.

Roger Mason Jr and Matt Bonner are both entering the final years of their contract. Ian Mahinmi and George Hill are on rookie scale contracts, with Mahinmi entering his third year and Hill only his second season.

That brings the Spurs? total up to $68.73 million for eight players.

Other additional costs

Player Option ? Michael Finley has a player option worth $2.5mil. He has said that he?s considering retirement so this is not a certain contract, but should he decide to play one more year he?ll most definitely take this option and stay with San Antonio. This is more money than any one in their right mind would offer him, and he?s settled here in San Antone. This would be Finley?s last year of his contract, and likely the last year of his career should he return.
Open Roster Spots ? The Spurs will have nine players on their books including Michael Finley. That leaves a minimum of four open roster spots and numerous holes on the bench, so those veteran minimum contracts will add up to $3.3 million.
I?m going to assume that Michael Finley does in fact return to the Spurs for one last season, it would be madness for him to opt out of that contract. That gives the Spurs additional costs of $5.7 million.

The Spurs total payroll has now risen to $72.03 million.

The Cap+ Luxury Tax Line

We don?t really know what will happen to the salary cap heading into next season, although it looks most likely that the cap will decline (secondary possibility that it holds steady). However, if my memory serves me, I believe I read somewhere that the league was more definitive over the luxury tax and said that it would definitely decrease this summer.

The league handed out a memo just before the trade deadline containing estimates on possible cap figures. That memo had the tax threshold decreasing from $71.15mil to $69.4mil. Here is an extract from ESPN with information on those numbers

On Feb. 18, Stern authorized the dispatch of a memo to all 30 teams projecting a drop in the salary cap from $58.7 million this season to $57.3 million in 2009-10 and a subsequent drop to $56.5 million in 2010-11, with a projected decline for the luxury-tax threshold as well: $71.2 million this season to $69.4 million in 2009-10 to $68.5 million in 2010-11.

For the purposes of these posts ? teams facing cap concerns in 2009 ? I will be solely using that suggested figure ? $69.4 million ? from the league?s front office.

Spurs versus Luxury Tax

Therefore, the Spurs are $2.63 million over the luxury tax threshold.

The Spurs Main Options

What assets do the Spurs have at their disposal to improve their team now?

The MLE
The LLE
Minimum Contracts
Expiring contracts ? Roger Mason Jr + Matt Bonner add up to a little over $7 million. That could net the Spurs a difference making role player like a James Posey, or someone along those lines.
If the Spurs spent their MLE on one player, their LLE on another, and signed some minimum contracts, what would their payroll be?

The MLE will be about $5.5 million. The LLE will be another $1.9 million. That would leave two open roster spots to get to the minimum of 13 bodies on the roster, which would add another $1.65 million.

That would take the Spurs payroll up to $80.3 million. If you include the luxury tax payments, their payroll would rise to over $90 million.

By the way, if the Spurs wanted a full 15 man roster, their payroll could climb to $82 million and $94 million after luxury tax payments.

With the Spurs over the luxury tax, will they be willing to spend their MLE?

Gosh, you?d have to think so. They can?t actually believe they can win a title without major improvements to their supporting cast, can they?

This must have been sign that their owner was willing to go all out for another few title runs.

One possibility ?

The Spurs could get lucky. They could manage to talk Antonio McDyess and Grant Hill, two excellent veteran role players who have sacrificed money in order to play for a contender in recent seasons, to sign for low value contracts.

Grant Hill earned the LLE these last two seasons in Phoenix, while McDyess is still getting paid from Denver and played for the minimum last season for Detroit.

This would be San Antonio?s dream come through, because it?s the only way they?ll be able to keep their luxury tax payments under control while also adding game changing players to their side.

What will be the Spurs #1 target from here on out?

A big man

The Spurs will be satisfied with their five main perimeter players of Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, George Hill and Roger Mason Jr. They?ll likely add 2-3 minimum contracts wings, one of which will likely be Bruce Bowen and perhaps even Ime Udoka. They?d love to get a bigger wing to be a true backup three though.

The Spurs desperately wanted to get Tim Duncan some serious help in the paint this offseason. That need has grown even larger after losing Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas, and they?re likely to lose Drew Gooden soon too.

They badly need a big man and will be using their MLE to try and sign a true difference maker.

Scary thought

The only big men on the Spurs roster outside of Tim Duncan right now are ? Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi ? that?s it. Just those two players.

One can easily see how this could become a massive problem for San Antonio if their owners were unwilling to spend that MLE. They need major reinforcements and unless San Antonio gets freakishly lucky, minimum contract players won?t suffice.

But surely they know this, right? Yeah, they know this. Maybe. Hopefully.

Quick big man list ?

Rasheed Wallace
Antonio McDyess
Zaza Pachulia
Brandon Bass
Marcin Gortat
Rasho Nesterovic
Chris Andersen
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't see them going over the luxury tax just to try to 'keep up with the jonses' by loading up for this Western Conference World War 3 in the middle of a down economy.  I don't think they need 'major' improvements on this squad.  Really their problem was having key players injured at different times through out the season.  They never really got their rhythm the second half of the season like they normally do.  I still don't think they would have got past the Lakers or even the Nuggets but the article sort of makes it sound like they are more Houston than San Antonio.  Maybe they were confused on what part of Texas they were talking about?  This is a championship core.  They have multiple rings....AND they just added a 20 ppg scorer on the wing who can hold his own on defense.

It's not CRITICAL for them to get a big man when they already have one of the best in the business.  It def would help and keep Tim fresh but how many times have people (myself included) said that they need to get Tim Duncan a really solid back up only for them to win a title with flippin Flabs and Nazr Mohammed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:49:02 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
There was another article yesterday...I'll see if I can find it...that says this is a move to extend Timmy's championship window by a couple years.  It said that Holt deeply trusts his basketball brain trust (Pop/Buford) to properly balance the need for talent and the pocketbook.  It also talks about his commitment to the community to try to maintain a championship caliber team in a down economy.

As far as another big man goes...the Spurs rebounding efficiency has dropped the past couple years.  Kurt Thomas was solid but not good for more than 15 minutes a game.  Bonner sucks at rebounding.  Gooden was ok but his mental lapses more than offset his positives.  Oberto obviously played one too many years in the NBA with the 2007 title year being his best season.  The young big men drafted the past few years aren't producing for the Spurs - Mahinmi with injuries; Splitter staying in Europe.

Of the big man list in the op...

Rasheed Wallace - has really dropped off recently; too much baggage (Rodman II ?)
Antonio McDyess - have to wonder if he is good for more than 15 minutes a game
Zaza Pachulia - maybe he & Bynum can combine to play hard in 82 games
Brandon Bass - not a bad choice; doubt he leaves Dallas
Marcin Gortat - may be the most likely one on this list
Rasho Nesterovic - can rebound and defend; just what Spurs need -- would he come back for the minimum?
Chris Andersen - not sure about his rebounding; great weakside D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Brandon Bass - not a bad choice; doubt he leaves Dallas

Way too small, he's tough and a hard worker but he's too small to play PF let alone C on the defensive end.

Marcin Gortat - may be the most likely one on this list

That would be a "scary" good combo for the Spurs but I think he booked his ticket for a decent pay day durring this years playoffs.

Chris Andersen - not sure about his rebounding; great weakside D

That would be very interesting but I doubt he leaves Denver.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"