Author Topic: can sa really beat LA??  (Read 1389 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
can sa really beat LA??
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:08:57 AM »
seems alot of attention is starting to swing our way with this streak and all.  I am looking forward to the next series, but i dont know what to expect, LA will come to play as usual, but we may be sluggish after a week off and out winning streak may come to an abrupt end  come game one - hopefully that wont be the case though.

ON THE OTHER HAND.  la could strain thier injuries they currently have or gain new oners in this next game which may make them beatable - not that they arent now, but i know fisher has to be in a world of pain with his injury and running on it must make it even more painful.  still playing game five for them might keep them "warm" when they face us in game one.  

it's hard to tell right now.  i think we will win the series, but if you asked me to BET on it, i wouldnt do it.  LA is still the team to scare me this playoff season.  anybody else have thoughts on the next round??
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
can sa really beat LA??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 11:29:22 AM »
I am not seeing anything in LA to inspire a lot of confidence right now. Granted, Houston creates matchup problems LA doesn't typically see, but LA's collapse last night was scary, Malone put them on his back and proved that, despite the less than glowing feelings people on this board have for him, my respect for his effort increased last night.

San Antonio beat a team they should beat just the way they should have, by pounding them into the floor. To me it is not indictative of what the second round will look like because Memphis was the deer caught in the headlights, they froze. They were supposed to, no experience at all and the first time ever in the playoffs for the franchise. Props to them for making it but this is what was supposed to happen.

LA is a different story, tons of experience, tons of talent, and no fear. The problem is, with the schizophrenic nature of this team, you do not know on any given night which team will show up, the lackluster going through the motions team that could lose to a decent college team, or the team that could absolutely destroy any team that would even dare step onto the same court with them. LA's terrible habit of playing down to the level of their competition has burned them more than once, and their letting up on people when they get the lead, (like last night) and thean doing just enough to win will burn them bad if they try it against the Spurs.

I short, I don't know what to think, if LA plays to their potential, they cannot lose to anybody on earth, period, end of story, but that is why they play the series, potential doesn't equal success.

Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
can sa really beat LA??
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »
LA has been inconsistent ever since the Spurs snapped their 11 game winning streak.  If the Lakers play up to their potential then I see it as a 7 game series.  And hopefully home court will truly end up being an advantage.

However I don't see LA playing up to their potential every game in a series.  At this point I would say that the Spurs have to be favored.  A week layoff could hurt the Spurs....they haven't responded well the other two times this year that they had layoffs of 5+ days.  But then as Dan pointed out....that is why they actually play the games.

Memphis, Houston & Denver are all playoff neophytes.  In fact they showed a graphic in yesterday's game that showed Robert Horry has more playoff games than the entire Grizzlies roster.  Minnesota has looked good...lost game 3 but then Denver at home for their first playoff game was able to ride the crowd to victory.  Same for the Rockets.  The Spurs were able to call on experience (and a little luck) to avoid losing game 3 on the opponent's court.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
can sa really beat LA??
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
I really don't see why not.  The Spurs are playing the best basketball in the league and have been since 2-3 weeks before the end of the season.  Parker and Duncan are becomming their own 1-2 punch and of course the Spurs are the best defensive team in the league.  To me they are clearly the favorites right now.  You must dethrone last years champ to legitimately become the favorite in the playoffs.

However, I dont think this is going to be a walk in the park for the Spurs because the Lakers have been up and down against the Rockets.  In fact I think playing Houston was a blessing in disquise.  Lakers got their taste of close rattle-your-nerves end of games, they had to face a very tough one two punch in Yao/Francis, the play was alot more physical than any other series, and they had to win games by playing defense.  No shooting themselves back into the game.  Also, lets not forget the Lakers rear ends still hurt from getting pounded last year :lol:

I think the Lakers can do it if they get up to play this team.  However, like yourself I wouldn't put a large sum of money on it because its too damn close between these two.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:23:58 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

sf101

can sa really beat LA??
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 01:27:08 PM »
It's more than just pounding the Grizz. Spurs are scary, they haven't lost in over a month, and they have a 15 game winning streak. Many of those wins were against the elite West.