Author Topic: Jameer Nelson trying to return to the Magic lineup durring the NBA Finals  (Read 5336 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
no-loose?  WTF is that rick?  The Magic have a lot to LOSE if Jameer comes back and is not ready to contribute.  He will be taking away minutes from guys that helped get the Magic to the NBA Finals.  How can disrupting the system that got the Magic into the Finals be a no-lose situation.  You are using a "checkers" approach to discuss a "chess" argument.

I don't agree, WayOut - I think Nelson coming back *IS* a no-lose situation, if handled correctly.

The trick is not to use Nelson as the Nelson prior to the injury, but as a motivation point at a critical moment.  1 minute of game time across the entire series is *MORE* than enough to do that.  And if the Magic can't accept a less-than-passable player for 1 minute of game time across the series, then they can't win the series anyway, so no harm is done.

If Nelson can contribute more, then that's just gravy.  But even if he's only a motivational factor, he's worth bring back.

If you are saying bring him in at home at a critical junction to get the crowd in it to revitalize the squad if they are done....sure.  I could see that being effective for a short time.  Could be just enough time and swing momentum in their favor to win the game.  That I see as being a positive and something as a negative for the Lakers.  In that instance, I agree with the Philly fans and yourself.  The problem is it could just as easy not make a difference if they do not com bust from the spark right?

I would like to see Nelson play not just because I think it would be a mistake for Orlando (just my opinion) but I honestly think it would a nice thing to do for Nelson who is very much apart of why Orlando developed into a contender like Joe mentioned earlier.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Looks like it's a "no go".  So does this hurt the Magic's mental state?  The players, and fans, seemed a little hyped that Jameer was going to play.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/06/no-jameer-for-game-1-and-likely-not-for-rest-of-finals-.html

No Jameer for Game 1, and likely not for rest of Finals
posted by Bschmitz on Jun 4, 2009 12:05:01 PM

The Magic have decided to hold out point guard Jameer Nelson for tonight's opening game of the NBA Finals against the Lakers, sources tell the Sentinel, and the chances of him playing at any point of the series is slim.

Nelson has been trying to come back sinice Feb. 19 shoulder surgery.

He has been ahead of schedule in his rehab and has been feverishly trying to persuade the team that he is ready, participating in his first practice Tuesday in Orlando and in Wednesday's workout in L.A.

It looked like he had a chance to play but apparently the club deemed the risk too great for the all-star who hasn't played since injuring his right shoulder Feb. 3 in Orlando against the Dallas Mavericks.

More later.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
It could also be a ploy to mess with the Lakers heads and preparation.  If so then I think it's a pretty good move as long as the Magic players did not buy into the hype.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"