Author Topic: Game 1: Sixers at Magic: Here we go!  (Read 9782 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game 1: Sixers at Magic: Here we go!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
I've wondered all season why we signed the guy and then had him attend games in business attire.

Because his defense and rebounding are poo-poo.

True, but when the alternative is Reggie Evans, the point is arguable. 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
I've wondered all season why we signed the guy and then had him attend games in business attire.

Oh.

I thought we got him to shoot the ball in specific circumstances, since we have no legitimate shooter of the three.

Guess Ed was wrong about Donyell's defense and rebounding when he evaluated the guy before nabbing him.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »

True, but when the alternative is Reggie Evans, the point is arguable. 

That is the point isn't it. Which player is the best for the 4 spot, Young, Marshall, Evans or Speights.  Obviously circumstances make one a better choice than another, but to me the only one that has a chance to do a better job than Young is Speights.  But when you look at what Marshall has done in the few minutes he has had, it becomes clear that he is one of the Sixers better players by PER.  He had a phenomenal 4th quarter: 11 pts. on 4-5 including 2-3 3pts. and 2 boards in 11 minutes.

I think Marshall's scoring and passing offset his defense and rebounding deficiencies. He's a smart veteran player who makes few mistakes- sort of our own Robert Horry. I always liked him as a player.  The Coaching staff chose to use him in the 4th last night over Thad!  Maybe they just wanted to save him for when the games really mattered, wanting to keep his abilities a bit concealed.

The preference for Evans over Speights or Marshall is what I find a little confusing. I understand what Reggie brings, and I definitely like the other 2 better. If there is some beast in there for the other team, I want Evans, but other than that, I think the other 2 contribute more to a fluid offense.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »
This is a good read one game winning shots over the last 3 years: http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Iguodala does pretty well for a non-shooter but nothing stellar.  In fact the only players who hit these shots at a high percentage are the pure shooters- who often have someone else set them up.

And Ricky, He may have had 5 TO'slast night, but Iguodala averages nearly 2:1 A/TO as a SF who gets 5.3 assists per game.  Of all non-PG's who average 5+ assists only a a handful are better than 2:1 (Lebron, DWade, TMac, Roy and Joe Johnson.)  Those elite players range from 2.1-2.5.  Every other non-PG with high assist numbers is worse than Iguodala.

Is Kobe a TO machine?  He had 4.9A/2.6TO's this year.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
the only one that has a chance to do a better job than Young is Speights. 

Not surprising you think that.

Speights, unfortunately for all of us, can't guard me.  He was embarrassed yesterday, and I don't expect to see him much in this series.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »

He could work on that aspect, sure.

But people won't complain about him because - well - he's not Iggy.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
FYI, I spoke with an old college friend last night who is a huge Orlando fan.  He works for Coke and apparently had tix right behind the visiting bench the other night.  He said it was easily the best game he's ever seen live despite Iguodala ripping his heart out.  One part I thought worth sharing, he said after Donyell hit the tying 3 with 32 secs left he heard him say, 'I've got some practice under my belt you motherfu*kers,' as he met his teammates by the bench. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
This is a good read one game winning shots over the last 3 years: http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Iguodala does pretty well for a non-shooter but nothing stellar.  In fact the only players who hit these shots at a high percentage are the pure shooters- who often have someone else set them up.

And Ricky, He may have had 5 TO'slast night, but Iguodala averages nearly 2:1 A/TO as a SF who gets 5.3 assists per game.  Of all non-PG's who average 5+ assists only a a handful are better than 2:1 (Lebron, DWade, TMac, Roy and Joe Johnson.)  Those elite players range from 2.1-2.5.  Every other non-PG with high assist numbers is worse than Iguodala.

I think you're misinterpreting those stats. Yes, other players have made more, and also attempted a lot more. You should look at shooting percentage in those end of game situations. Also, I don't like their methodology. I want it to be last shot in game winning situations- you make it your team wins, you miss and your team losses or goes to OT.

At any rate Iguodala really does outshine Kobe and LeBron in terms of shooting percentage, at least so far.  If he keeps doing it, he really will deserve the moniker, B.O.S. There is also a sublist, for playoff last shots, and in that we know Andre is 1 for 1 so far, and I have the feeling he'll be in that situation again before the playoffs are over.

Kobe handles the ball a very high percentage of the time for the Lakers, and players who play like that put the ball at risk quite often. Put it this way, Andre is better with the ball than Kobe.  The only thing Kobe does is shoot it more, he shoots for a lower percentage, doesn't rebound as much and doesn't pass out assists as much.  The Lakers depend much more on Kobe for points than the Sixers do with Andre.  There are few teams with as many scorers as the Sixers.

There's also a link from the same page that allows you to see how well the players do with 5 min left. in a game.  Interestingly, Dalembert is #2 for shooting percentage (regular 2 pts.) and Speights is #7 just ahead of Mr. Garnett.  There's a good reason for playing Speights, he's good in crunch time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:24:44 PM by rickortreat »

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »
rickortreak:

I have not looked at 82games.com lately, but Speights' "close and late" numbers were unreal the last time I looked.

Speghts is productive at the end of close games because he is playing with better players - as opposed to those 2nd and 3rd quarter minutes with Evans, Ivey and (at least for much of the season) Lou.

At this time of the year, you play whoever gives you the best chance to win.  I don't think that anybody was bitching about Thad being on the bench in the 4th quarter on Sunday - were they?

BTW - Evans' "close and late" numbers are HORRIFIC...as long as he is nowhere near the floor in the 4th quarter I am happy.