Author Topic: NFL Mafia on Underclassmen being appealed  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL Mafia on Underclassmen being appealed
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:15:41 AM »
No way should NFL be allowed to block entry of those who have completed their sophmore year of college.  I don't think they should be allowed to force a decision on an 18 year old high schooler either.

Will there be another Kevin Garnett in the NFL?  

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1786876
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ordered the NFL on Wednesday to provide her with written arguments in response to documents filed by attorneys for Maurice Clarett that ask for an emergency lifting of the legal stay which is currently keeping Clarett and Mike Williams out of this weekend's draft, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports.

jn

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:48:51 AM »
"I don't think they should be allowed to force a decision on an 18 year old high schooler either."

That's a lot less worrisome than the Govt telling you how to run a business.  Besides, what are they forcing on these guys? A free education?  

Touche' JN

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:55:41 AM »
Being 18 doesn't make you a man, and it doesn't give you the right to force your services down the throat of a legal business who had rules inplace against it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:01:41 AM »
Besides, what are they forcing on these guys? A free education?
And how many college athletes actually graduate?

What education are they getting....how to be pampered and given free rides on legal matters?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 09:37:02 AM »
Lurker I'm certainly not going to defend the college football culture but the bottom line is these guys have no legal standing or moral entitlement to do this.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 09:43:33 AM »
Why should the NFL be allowed to collude together to shut out potential employees?  What is the difference between a 20 year old and a 21 year old in terms of ability to play football?

If any other group of employers made this type of move then it would be attacked from all sides.  IMO if a person is old enough to enter a binding contract (age 18), serve in the military, vote for public officials then they should be allowed to pursue whatever career they want as long as they are qualified.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 09:43:58 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 05:40:07 PM »
"....Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg rejected his first request, saying she saw no reason to overturn a lower court's stay preventing the former Ohio State running back from being taken in the draft.

She cited the NFL's willingness to "promptly" hold a supplemental draft if the 20-year-old Clarett, out of high school two years, prevails in his lawsuit challenging the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro...."

What a wimp.  Oh well perhaps since Claretts lawsuit is close to going to trial (yeah rright) was her reasoning.  I doubt it.

Ginsburg's decision also keeps out wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California, who entered the draft after the original decision allowing in Clarett.

"The NFL may have been successful in keeping them out of Saturday's draft, but there's always the possibility of the supplemental draft," said Williams' agent, Mike Azzarelli.

ESPN had the NFLs stance in part "The NFL contends younger players are not physically ready to play professional football and may harm themselves by over-training or resorting to steroid use.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :(  :(
Like the NFL cares about people hurting themselves due to steroid use.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:31:23 PM »
To hold a CDL in the US (that is a class A truck driving license, I still hold one, I drove cross country for 18 years) you must be 21 years old, it is federal law, the reasoning is you are not qualified physically to handle an 80,000 lbs tractor trailer. Where does the supreme court have the right to say who a private company can or cannot hire, who are they to say what criteria the NFL can use in its draft, what age limit it must use, what educational requirements, if any, it does or does not have? Next thing you know some safety will sue for the right to interfere with a pass any time they want, don't laugh, it is not that far fetched. This idiot is typical of the spoiled whine dog puke-faced little punks in sports today that feel entitled to anything they want because they can play a sport, I root for his failure, the little punk.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:25 AM »
LF,

Its also keeping out Mike Williams of USC and many others, not just Clarret.
Williams has already completed his sophmore year and i believe is 21 years old.

Who the Supreme Court is to say who a private company can and cannot hire and what criteria they use is when they discriminate.  The NFLs motive is to contiue the freebie ride minor league system they have that is college football.

Also the NFL history has a bunch of players who never even finished high school.
Why should a similiar one today be barred from getting hired?

I'm sure you would agree that when you started trucking and for years thereafter it did indeed take much physical effort to manuever a big rig.  Now some of todays newer trucks, for example the trucks that CRST have, are power steering cruise control Easy Riders.  Why shouldn't a responsible 20 year old (okay it may be rare) be allowed to drive one?