Author Topic: Sixers vs. T-Wolves  (Read 1986 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. T-Wolves
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:45 PM »
This is a revenge game for the Sixers who lost to the T-Wolves who came from behind to win when they played last.  But injuries have pushed Minnesota into a serious slide and it shuold be easy for the Sixers to add to their win streak.

Since they started winning in February, the team is 24-12.  That means they are now playing .666 ball. That's not quite as good as Boston or Cleveland, but better than Atlanta.  And the wins haven't just come against the cupcakes either, they've blown some games to the New Jersey's that they've made up by beating other teams during the run.  Quality wins against teams like LA imply this team has the potential to cause some serious problems for their opponents.

I am very eager and anxious to see how we do against Atlanta and Cleveland, as they will likely be our first 2 playoff opponents.  Cleveland's reward for finishing first is to play the winner between 4 and 5. I'm pretty sure we can take Atlanta in a series. Cleveland has beaten us both times so far, but we have two games left to redeem ourselves and send a message.

The playoff push is on and we need every win, including tonight. No let ups and no playing down to the opponents.  I do think playing WC teams has helped the Sixers offense get on track a bit. I'd like to see them continue to score at a higher pace- up closer to 110 than 90. This should really put pressure on the slower EC teams for them to execute effectively as they have learned to do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:37:32 PM by rickortreat »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. T-Wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
Well, a win is a win is a win..... albeit an ugly win.  Fortunately for us, Miami lost.  Just a half game out of the 5 seed and 4 games above .500 for the first time in I have no idea. 

Thad Young is breaking out... and I'm enjoying it.  That move where he got caught in the double, but kept his pivot and spun back door when the double left... just poetry in motion. 

What the hell got into Rodney Carney?  That son of a bitch... where the hell was that the last 2 years? 

By the way, not to be a downer, but I absolutely hate that Reggie Evans got 20 minutes tonight...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
+1 on all points.

This team would have lost tonight had they not "called plays for Thad."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
I thought it was a good game for the Sixers. The T-Wolves gave them some trouble in the first half, they made some adjustments in their play, and were able to assert their will in the 2nd half.  I wasn't happy that they lost their 12 point lead at the end, but they never got closer than 5 pts. so it really didn't matter.

Great win in that they did it without having to depend on Iguodala.  Now that Thad is establishing himself, the Sixers have a great one-two punch in these swing men.

Can't say enough about Thad's offensive game, incredible poise and judgement for a 21 yr. old! I think he should watch old Magic Johnson games and imitate some of his moves. He's certainly athletic enough to pull it off, he simply needs to practice. He did a great job of improving his handle this season too.

I never wanted the Sixers to trade Rodney Carney, because he did show flashes of that ability to hit the three, but at the time I understand why the Sixers did it.  They might have been better off if they could have foisted Willie Green onto them instead!  Unbelievable shooting tonight by Carney.

But it was Royal Ivey who broke the game open.  Foye snaked him into a foul that got him 3 free throws.  Ivey was pissed and took it out on the T-Wolves by shooting two consecutive three's to finally get ahead and in control.  

Not really happy that Speights didn't get more time, but he wasn't doing a good job handling Love. In fact the only Center who could stop him was Theo.  I do want to point out that Speights shouldn't be playing Love. He is not a Center, at least at present when he's not strong enough, and he shouldn't be expected to defend in the middle. He is only playing out of position because the coaching staff is unwilling to put Theo into the rotation.  I thought that was a key development during their earlier winning streak, and it is time to bring him back in, along with Speights, to back up Dalembert and Young.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
Good news, Thad is only 20  8)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
He's making that spin move of his a signature move, and he just looks comfortable everywhere on the court.  Remember when his handle was flat out difficult to watch?  Now he's doing things like going behind the back off the dribble while switching direction and changing pace to explode towards the rim (ask Brian Cardinal).