Author Topic: Philly vs. NO  (Read 2678 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly vs. NO
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
Can we guard David West? Please?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Philly vs. NO
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
Everybody besides the Andres was off tonight.  Unexciting game.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
Unexciting team, season, franchise right now.  I'm pretty close to zoning them out. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »
I think it's about time for a shakeup.

Start Speights.

Start giving Marshall some minutes (maybe that will light a fire under Thad's ass).

Take Lou out of the regular rotation for a while (easy to do if Iggy gets moved to the 2).

This team is WAY too complacent for a bunch of guys who haven't done jack.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
I agree bebop. Nothing is working, because we only have two players to rely on night in and out.  The two Andre's can make things happen, but Lou and Thad aren't capable in the same way. This offense needs structure for young players and the coaching staff doesn't provide it. There is very little continuity on offense, it's like they're playing against a defense they've never seen before, or at least don't have a clue or a plan on how to attack it.

Evans can't play Center. Young can't get away with playing PF too much either.  At least the team could rebound and block out if they played Speights with Dalembert.  Or even Ratliff and Dalembert or Ratliff and Speights. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
New Orleans can play comfortably in various tempos (of course having CP3 helps), whereas we're really only comfortable when we're getting out in transition.  We're a great running team, and that's fine, but relying on it being there for us every night has been a detriment.  I'm not even saying that we should have won that game because I think New Orleans is the superior team, but when they brought the pace back to their advantage we couldn't find any inroads to eat away at the deficit, and if we did, Paul would find an open outside shooter to keep us at arms length.  This team needs shooters like GM needs bailout dollars, and right now it feels like nothing short of an Elton Brand 2010 M.I.P. award is going to free us from our half court woes.  Regardless, I agree w/ the general consensus here in that a shake up to the lineup is probably in order. 

The two teams practically shot identically, but they had the advantage on the glass (17 offensive pulls), and our bench came out flat shooting a combined 22%.  In fact, our nicest stat off the bench came from Reggie Evans (0-0 FGA's).  Did anyone see that shot of Sammy just sitting on the bench with his head down in the 4th?  David West exposed every average bone in his body early on. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »
Did anyone see that shot of Sammy just sitting on the bench with his head down in the 4th?

I was at the game, with my seats about 20 rows directly behind the Sixers bench.  He was like that pretty much the entire second half after he was pulled a little over 5 minutes into the 3rd.  He was disinterested during timeouts, and just generally seemed to be pouty and petulant.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
Trying to look on the positive side, David West is on my fantasy team.   :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
They only positive I see is that at least on this board people don't snipe at each other like 12 year olds...

Ankle, we were all hoping Brand was the answer in the 1/2 court maybe next year?)  I know I discounted the shooting issue last Summer, but that was before Iguodala and Lou actually regressed as jump shooters.  Its pretty painful when you have the worst 3Pt and 2Pt jump shooters in the league, and its hard to mask their issues.  You can only "run" so far from them.

I agree w/ Bebop-  they need to find out as much as they can about this mix of players.  PG and whether Iguodala and Young can play 2/3 next to Miller.  I'd hate to enter next year with as many question marks as this year.  Even if they add a shooter they will need to sit Lou in order to free up PT... or maybe trade Lou?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
They need to add at least two, maybe three dead-eye three point shooters.  Preferably one of them is also a PG (Can you say Stephen Curry?).  Give me a shooting PG, a sharpshooting swing man reserve at the 2 and 3, add back in the shooting of Jason Smith and Brand and improvement by Speights and Young (just needs to be consistent with his mechanics) and this team will be much better in the half court.  Brand, Speights and Young all have good or developing post games, but with the shooting the driving lanes opne up in the half court which is huge for this team.  Right now teams pack it in, dare them to shoot and they usually get good results.  We do well against less talented teams or teams that don't take care of the ball well, but when teams can play up tempo and aren't careless with the ball, our advantage is negated.  We can't sneak up on people like we did last year, they are ready for the athletic run and gun.  AB was correct, we need to diversify this offense, right now it is a one trick pony with a gimpy leg.