Author Topic: Good summary of Ed's meeting with season ticket holders  (Read 1869 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Good summary of Ed's meeting with season ticket holders
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
4. They are considering having the lineup of Miller/Iggy/Thad/Speights/Sammy

http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/update-from-ed-stefanski.php

Also:
3. They will not go into the Luxury Tax bracket but are looking to add a MLE player over the summer.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good summary of Ed's meeting with season ticket holders
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
When you factor in their first round pick, resigning Miller to 8 mil if they have exactly 10 mil puts them pretty much at the luxtax.  They'll be down to 9 players under contract.  Assuming they resign Ivey, that brings them back up to 10.  Factor in a 1st and a 2nd is 12.  A full MLE is 13.  Another bargain bin player puts them 14 and right up against the luxtax.  There's no way they can afford to re-sign Miller unless he's willing to take a paycut.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
When you factor in their first round pick, resigning Miller to 8 mil if they have exactly 10 mil puts them pretty much at the luxtax.  They'll be down to 9 players under contract.  Assuming they resign Ivey, that brings them back up to 10.  Factor in a 1st and a 2nd is 12.  A full MLE is 13.  Another bargain bin player puts them 14 and right up against the luxtax.  There's no way they can afford to re-sign Miller unless he's willing to take a paycut.

Certain vet minimum contracts don't count against the tax I believe as far as filling out the team goes, but I might be confusing that with the cap and am too lazy to look it up.  There will probably be a lot of guys getting the vet minimum this summer given the financial situation teams claim they are in.

If there is interest in Lou I would be more than willing to move him for a decent shooter.  I like Lou and he has a decent contract, but he is replaceable.  If we get a pure shooter it will probably be a high minute, wing bench guy and our draft choice should be a PG to develop, hence less minutes for Lou anyway with those two additions.  If there was little interest in Miller at the deadline it it probably due to his defensive deficiencies, Miller is the kind of PG to make your team just better enough to get into the playoffs, but not to get you very far once you are there.

One idea, use Lou to trade up in the first round to get a better PG prospect from a team that can absorb Lou's salary, then use that cap space to sign a vet shooter.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
I'd like to see that line-up as soon as possible.  The Sixers should use Miller, Iguodala, Young, Speights and Dalembert as their primary line-up and develop their rotation around that group. As long as they can keep Dalembert or Speights on the floor, the 2nd group should be fine.

It's a matter of Speights getting better on defense, but the best way to get him there is to give him the experience so he can learn. I think the offensive stuggles the Sixers go through could be eliminated with Speights and the others in the half court.  Stopping Iguodala and Miller is difficult enough, worrying about Young and Speights coming off of picks should break most defenses.