Author Topic: Would Kobes really opt out this summer?  (Read 971 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Would Kobes really opt out this summer?
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
As Kobes Bryant attempts to do once in his career what MJ did 6 times, Timmy Duncs 4, Dave Cowens twice and a myriad of other players once, that is lead a team to a legit* title, What will happen if and when he fails to win a championship this year?  Will he opt out in the summer of 2009?  2010?  He can both years, it's his option.
*collusion tainted may require asterisk
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Kobe-090213

With superb coaching behind him in the form of Phil Jackson and Greg Popavich, along with complete support from Sternfish, Bavetta, Grizzlies GM and company, it would appear that Kobes chances this year are better then ever.

However, should The Collusion and Marketing efforts fail, where could you see Kobes landing?  Along with the bumper crop of FAs in 2009 and SuperCrop in 2010?  Not the least of which is LeBron,Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh.  The potential combinations are juicy.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Would Kobes really opt out this summer?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
Let's assume Kobe *DOES* opt out.  Where will he go?  That's easy.

He'll go to the big market team, in the public eye, where he can make the most money.  Just like he did last time. 

He's a Laker lifer.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
I agree he will remain a Laker, irregardless of whatever drama is fabricated re his reupping.  Appears all things Kobe will remain the same for now:

Stern said he believed the league was in a "golden age of basketball," but there are potential concerns should the economic situation not improve. It's expected to lead to a decrease in the salary cap, and could eventually land some teams in financial jeopardy.

"I always get into trouble saying this," Stern said. "I have been concerned for 25 years, and so I always worry about everything. But all I can say is that in a difficult economic environment we are going to maintain our attendance and our revenues, even last year."