Author Topic: Iguodala is the 2nd best player this year...  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Iguodala is the 2nd best player this year...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
And from accounts about his 61 point game, that may not be wrong.  3 assists, no rebounds, and scoring just for the sake of scoring.

Nice sample size.

Taking a guy who averages basically the same amount of rebounds and assists as Iguodala and limiting it to 1 game. 

I guess Iguodala is a ballhog for his 20 pt, 3 rebound, 1 assist performance against Houston?

(which, btw, Iguodala was a -6 +/- in).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:24:20 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
14 PG/SG/SF with 20+ PER and 19 PF/C with 20+.  That looks horribly flawed to me.  Maybe it gets the 3 superstars right, but it certainly looks like the great big man is rated higher than the great PG/SG/SF by on average 2 points or so.  In fact, if you make the cutoff for PG/SG/SF to be 18 and keep the PF/C at 20, you get 29 PG/SG/SF and 19 PF/C, which is just about right if you want to go by %.

And it was one example obviously.  There are times when Kobe can take over a game legitimately, and there are times when he just doesn't join the flow, and I've seen both.  There's no questioning that he's not as explosive this year as he's been in the past.  Maybe, just maybe, his skills are diminishing as a result of being in the league for a really long time?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
Or, it could be that big men in this league are more productive overall players?

I don't think anyone has said (or claimed) that there is any one all-inclusive stat, PER included (even when used with PER differential).  I haven't found any singular stat better than PER/PER diff yet though.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
There's no questioning that he's not as explosive this year as he's been in the past.  Maybe, just maybe, his skills are diminishing as a result of being in the league for a really long time?

Huh?

Or maybe it's because he's got a ton of talent around him that he didn't have in the past?

His TS% the last two years is through the roof (.576 and .570), he's still scoring 27.3 ppg, and he's doing it for a 41-9 team.  Yeah, he's just doing horrible. 

When Kobe "only" averaged 24 ppg on 43.8% shooting (32.7% 3pt) in 2003-2004, were people saying his skills were diminishing?

Don't understand the Kobe hate.  When Kobe scores a ton, he's accused of being a ballhog.  When Kobe scores less and does so at a higher efficiency, he's accused that his skills are diminishing.