Author Topic: Thank You and may I have another...  (Read 7029 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Thank You and may I have another...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

And I hate to be a wiseass, but AI is starting in the all-star game and Bruce Bowen was a few thousand votes from making it.

AI is still better than anyone we have.  And I'd trade for Bruce Bowen's success.  More than anyone we got.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
I hate to be a wiseass

No you don't.

but I could pretty easily disprove that statement by simply providing a roster for this year's game.

You know what he meant.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »

No you don't.

Yes I do.

We have no all stars and no one who deserves to be called one.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »
Depressed fan broke down the last play really well.  Thad cheated and got burned.  He should not be blaming Sam, but I guess its hard when it tends toibe Sam's fault 99% of the time :D

http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/the-allen-shot-breakdown.php

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
Depressed fan broke down the last play really well.  Thad cheated and got burned.  He should not be blaming Sam, but I guess its hard when it tends toibe Sam's fault 99% of the time :D

http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/the-allen-shot-breakdown.php

Almost verbatim what I claimed here, earlier today.  All you had to do was to watch it once, in real time.  I've never bashed Thad before...but he deserves it today.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »
The bigger question is whether he learned from it.  His response to Fagan was not promising, but I am guessing once the coaching staff broke it down with him, he got the message.  The kid, and he still is a kid by most measures, has his head on straight and he is very bright from all I have heard, read and observed so I am not too worried about him.

As far as all-stars go, Iggy is getting very close with his play of late.  Brand I am not sure about because I have not seen him play healthy here with any kind of system that makes sense.  Early in the year the whole offensive and defensive systems were screwed up.  Brand scored 27 points against a crappy Washington team in DiLeo's first game, then got hurt.  Thad and Speights both have all-star potential too, but it is down the road.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »
Iggy is getting very close with his play of late.  Brand I am not sure about because I have not seen him play healthy here

Both true.

Just wish we had a legitimate all star...without having to say "but..." after naming him.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
Andre Iguodala is playing like an all-star even if he isn't one yet. The shot he made with six seconds left to go in front was huge, and he even did his Kobe "big balls" imitation after making the shot.

Pathetic defense on the last play.  Dalembert out on a guard at 3 point range?!?! absurd.  Thad should have stayed with him the whole way.

But the important thing is the coaching was stupid.  The Sixers were having trouble scoring and they put Speights in and he scores like 6 points in a row and blocks a shot (ok, it was a foul, but the refs didn't call it.) Then he commits one foul on Pierce and on the next play Iguodala missses a jump shot, there's a floor time-out and they sub him out for Thad. WHY would anyone take him out of the game when he's clearly the spark that put the Sixers back on top? 

I would have played Speights until the end, trying to score and trying to put pressure on the Celtics.  Even if we had won, I would have just said they did it without playing against Garnett so it means little. But it was a bad loss, simply because they could have won it, and might have with one less mistake or Andre Miller missed shot.  Do keep in mind that it took two consecutive three-pointers by Ray Allen to beat the Sixers. How many times can he do that? Ray was 3 of 8 for three-pointers last night, just amazing that he managed two in a row at the end.

I have no problem trading Miller if we can find a viable replacement.  I don't see any out there. I would rather extend him with another contract and draft a point. I'm not convinced we can't turn Williams into one, either.  Miller is not a great point guard, he makes a lot of dumb decisions and he never makes the pass he supposed to off a pick and roll.  At least Lou makes that pass.

Miller does some good things out there that are not typical of a point guard but do work well.  I like the way he draws contact working down low.  It pissed me off to no end, that he didn't do that once last night, but instead stayed outside and missed shot after shot.  IMO, that's being lazy, and not willing to work to break down the defense.

It's just that we need a replacement PG before you loose Miller.

You will not find a Gm in the league who thinks that AI is a better player than Andre Iguodala. None of them would do a trade even up, even though the money is way out of whack and would require additional players.  AI is on the downside of his career, Iguodala has barely gotten started yet.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:36:57 PM by rickortreat »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
Well I only caught the second half last night...but, man, did Iggy play like an all star.  (Let me be clear: for him to BE an all star, he needs to play like that consistently; he has not, but hopefully will.)  His rebounding late...going to the hole late...intense defense...it was a pleasure to watch him.

The Iggy I hate is the late-in-the-game-turn-over-machine Iggy.  The crybaby.  The ball-hog-without-the-hot-hand Iggy.  But he was a leader last night and played great.  And Sam?  Man, I'd love to see games like that from him (or even remotely close) more often than once a month. 

They all looked determined...all-business.  I was proud of them.

(I'm also convinced that Green was the guy to put in when we went 0-18.  We'd have won that game.  IMO)

I'll be there for Phoenix and then Denver.  Hopefully they show up, too.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
Green would have been a good choice too.  No one has been talking about Green, but he is clearly capable of putting up 20 some nights.  The truth is, he is a better shooter than Ivey or Rush, which is why he has that spot.  I think Dileo thinks he's not as good defensively.

If Green could continue to step up, the Sixers could win a lot more games.  Any scoring not from the Andre's spreads the floor and makes more room for the others to operate. Consistent outside shooting is what the Sixers seem to lack the most. If Williams isn't doing it, DiLeo should put Green in.