Author Topic: 6-0  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
6-0
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
Took down BOTH top dogs in the east on their home court, nuff said!
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: 6-0
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:42:53 AM »
I hate to bring this up, but it's worth asking the question:

Are the Lakers *BETTER* without Bynum?

Odom is starting to perform in a big way, and there's no question that he benefits from time with Gasol.  If that correlation holds (and I think it will) - Odom produces better without Bynum - aren't the Lakers a better team without Bynum?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »

Odom is starting to perform in a big way, and there's no question that he benefits from time with Gasol.  If that correlation holds (and I think it will) - Odom produces better without Bynum - aren't the Lakers a better team without Bynum?

Shhhhhh

Don't jinx us and don't let this spread in case it holds true.  That way the Lakers can deal him for Lebron and rights to Lebron's cousin in high school.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »

Funny you mentioned that Joe, because I thought about that a lot yesterday as he was dismantling the Cavs. What he gives LA off the bench is the scariest second unit in basketball and the leadership he could NEVER give a starting unit, he seems to thrive in there and has proven to be the kind of player that plays where he is told to play without pouting and crying, a rare quality in today's NBA. For that alone, I love Odom, his occasional inconsistencies' aside.

As far as the Lakers overall when he starts, tough call because it's only been 4 games and last year Bynum AND Ariza were missing so there was more pressure on the front court, I do not believe Lamar handles that pressure well, at least not as good as others at his talent level, he folded against Boston in the Finals.

With Ariza in there a lot of that pressure to perform goes away allowing him to play a looser style of game and create where he flourishes. Bynum's absence obviously allows Lamar more room to operate in the paint and take advantage of Gasol's excellent passing, but Bynum's size and defensive presence (he HAS been playing more physical of late until he went down) makes him too vital to L.A.'s success to say they're better without him. Gasol's settling into the Laker's style of play, learning the offense, trusting his team mates, Ariza's rebounding and defense, and his own talent in the low post, all lend to Lamar being able to elevate his game like he did last night, it takes the pressure off him, and as I have said, he is not the best pressure player in the world.

Last night he fed off his own energy, but Gasol's superior passing in the post and the energy of the unit that started the second half are what got him going, we all know he is incapable of this kind of game on a nightly basis, which is why I LOVE him off the bench, he is an excellent spark in short spurts where he is not required to be the focus. I think his starting and being third option WITH Ariza out there as well is what gives rise to the question you asked Joe, the different dynamics from last year to this with Trevor healthy makes it appear so, at least this early. I say no, they're not better, I certainly do not believe they would be better over a 7 game series, but game to game, the naysayers aside, LA IS the best team in the regular season, if Bynum is unable to go come playoff time, I just hope they can prove they are the best period, they sure look like they are right now.

Now about their defense...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:58:48 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »

Lamar is better without Bynum, the Lakers are NOT!  IMO the Lakers might not get out of the WC without Bynum.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »

Lamar is better without Bynum, the Lakers are NOT!  IMO the Lakers might not get out of the WC without Bynum.

LA is looking great these days, they took out two of the East's best on their home courts in succession. Very impressive, made even more so with Bynum out.  With him, the Lakers are nearly unstoppable. Without him, they only seem that way at the moment. But they DO seem better than they were before when Bynum was out. Pretty amazing they can loose a player like that and not skip a beat.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:14 AM »
LA is looking great these days, they took out two of the East's best on their home courts in succession. Very impressive, made even more so with Bynum out.  With him, the Lakers are nearly unstoppable. Without him, they only seem that way at the moment. But they DO seem better than they were before when Bynum was out. Pretty amazing they can loose a player like that and not skip a beat.

One thing to keep in mind rick is that Bynum was not doing much until the last 5 games before his injury.  Bynum was being heavily criticized for focusing on scoring and neglecting defense and rebounding.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"