Author Topic: Sixers vs. Hornets 1/26/2009  (Read 2089 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Hornets 1/26/2009
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
This was a bad game for the Sixers, one of the worst in recent memory, and I blame Di Leo for the loss.  The Sixers started out fine, and looked good through the entire first half, but fell apart in the third quarter, in large part thanks to the absurdly accurate shooting of Peja.

I blame Dileo since all during that time, Thad Young, who had been doing a great job on Peja was on the bench, while instead, Tony had Reggie Evans on the floor. 

Why is it that the Sixers want to go small to match up with teams?  Why not make it harder on them by putting out a big line-up and going inside?  Speights got no minutes in the second half and the Sixers couldn't score enough points.

Chirs Paul was his amazing self, and was able to force turnovers and steals with his quickness. The Hornets also got away with fouling the Sixers often, without getting a foul called.

It was clear that none of the Sixers on the floor felt confident enough to take the 3's to match NO, but DiLeo didn't try to put in Marshall or anyone else to try.

Just a poorly-coached game all around- the Sixers did not protect the ball, and did not work their offense with proficiency. The Hornets without any inside rebounding or shot blocking were ripe for the taking, but the Sixers didn't take them.  Instead they let them shoot outside shots all night, playing slow players like Reggie.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. Hornets 1/26/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
Chris Paul did have a phenomenal game and despite us leaving Peja wide open in the 4th, he also had some lucky bounces come right his way, which just threw salt on the wound.  Regardless, I thought DiLeo left that lineup in the 4th out waaayyy too long.  No reason for Evans to be out there for half the 4th quarter... same can be said for Ivey.  Outside of Thad, we really didn't have much to go to offensively. 

I know Brand is rusty and well below 100%, but he looked pretty ineffective last night even against the likes of Armstrong and Marks, which was just a little discouraging to watch.  I thought we did a poor job of capitalizing on their starting front court being absent.  Outside of Thad getting looks in the post at PF, we didn't really get after their bigs.  I would have liked to see Speights get more time as I'm fairly sure the bigs New Orleans had out last night couldn't keep him from scoring.  Ugly game to watch... another tough one tomorrow night in Houston. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »
Its not DiLeo's fault the team (Iguodala mostly) became more focussed on the refs than the Hornets.

The 1st half they looked great, the second half they came out flat, and the wheels fell of when things started going against them.

I agree about Evans and Ivey.  The Hornets lacked inside players that required Evans attention.  Likewise, Ivey's physical style of defense was punished by the refs desire to protect CP3.  I would have rather them play 5 feet off of him and let him score more than all of the aggressive help defense that leaves open shooters.  CP3 would much rather pass then shoot.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »
I missed the game entirely and that seems like a good thing.  Someday we will learn to defend the three.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »
Is that before or after you get a DVR?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »

We need to upgrade our entire cable package, phone and internet, so I am waiting until then.  Last night I had just way too much going on to even watch the game later, and given the score, I'm OK with that.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »

We need to upgrade our entire cable package, phone and internet, so I am waiting until then.  Last night I had just way too much going on to even watch the game later, and given the score, I'm OK with that.

You could use Tivo, who I love, but is a little overpriced.

I've actually got both a tivo and a comcast dvr.