Author Topic: Line-up (Brand re-integration)  (Read 4612 times)

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Line-up (Brand re-integration)
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
I love how it seems like everything that was wrong with the Sixers at the beginning of the season was Elton Brand's fault...

- Yup - it was Brand's fault that Miller came into the season in less-than-greyhound-running shape;

- And it was definitely EB's fault that Iguodala was pressing for the first month of the season;

- And Sammy's utter inability to do much of anything on the court?  You guessed it...all Elton's fault;

- Those ridiculous substitution rotations that you thought were Mo?  Nope - Brand again...

Man, am I glad we've got that straightened out.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Line-up (Brand re-integration)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
I think Brand can fit in with the team and don't think he was the cause of most of the problems this year, they sucked for quite a while after he got hurt before DiLeo's system was really kicked in.  I also agree that this team can only go so far playing the undersized speed line-up with no post player as D-Bods noted.  But, in my mind the decision whether to move Brand depends on where the team's direction is going to be moving forward.  In the 24 and under category you have most of the team's most talented players in Iggy, Thad, Speights and Lou.  These guys still need time to improve their skillsets and overall games before the team is a real force.  In the 29 and over category you have very skilled players in Andre Miller and Brand.  Brand is already a big financial commitment and keeping Miller looks like it will take a 3 year or more extension at fairly sizable dollars.  That is a lot of money to pay/tie up in some very good players who will be declining as the rest of the team hits its peak, it also restricts their tax/cap flexibility going forward.

If Miller can be signed to a two year extension I say keep him and Brand to help the team win as the youngsters develop.  Miller's contract would then expire at the same time as Sam, Reggie and Willie.  The team gets to try and win with the mix of vets and developing youth and has a window of financial flexibility right before they need to commit big dollars to those developing players.

If Miller will not come back for less than three more years or his contract number demands are too high, maybe it is time to move both Brand and Miller.  Brand to Chicago for Hinrich and Tyrus Thomas?  Some reduction in salary (one less year and a nicely declining salary for Hinrich), a young replacement for Miller that might fit well with Iggy because he can shoot and fit well with Lou because he has size to guard SG's.  Thomas has played decently this year and might be a good fit at PF on a running team, although on a better team he is a nice back-up, not a starter.  Speights is the future at the 4 anyway.

Miller trades - Miller + WG or Reggie to Cleveland for JJ Hickson/Szcerbiak?  To Portland for young players/picks?  Try and get a shorter term veteran big like Brad Miller somehow?

it may well be that the current talks with Miller's agent determine where the team goes at the deadline.