Author Topic: Marreese Minutes  (Read 9110 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Marreese Minutes
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
A good, short blog entry on how Speights has responded since the benching: http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/credit-is-due.php  His rebounding has nearly doubled.

I guess I was a bit premature in blasting DiLeo for cutting his minutes.  I would still like to see 20+ minutes even after Brand returns, but as long as he stays a regular part of the rotation and keeps improving his defense and rebounding I'll be happy.  He was the 1st big off the bench last game, which is a good sign.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
I was noticing the marked increase in rebounds Speights had been pulling down since he got back into the line-up and did not think it to be a coincidence either.  Speights seems to be a good kid, but one who will need a firm hand and good team mates around him if he is going to get the most out of his vast potential.  He is in a good spot with the Sixers who have been emphasizing high character plaers for the last few years.  Speights would have been screwed going to a zoo like Clipper-land or playing for a megalomaniac like Nelson.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
He does seem to have an interesting personality.  Sort of a cross between Sam and Reggie in that he is always smiling and talking during the game, but also has a mean streak and won't back down to the likes of K.G.

He does not strike me to be a student of the game like Thad, who will drive himself to be great.  It looks like he needs coaxing, but doesn't have the type of CWebb arrogance where he sees himself as too good for his coaches.  He also does not seem sulky like Iguodala.

Of course that's a lot of psychoanalysis of someone we only get to see on the court.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
Speights is a classic man-child type, his body is advanced beyond his mental maturation process.  His teammates really like the kid and he is still just a big kid at heart it seems.  Thad does seem more likely to develop leadership skills and a killer instinct than Speights does.  I am glad Speights played two years in college, he very well could have gotten completely lost as a player and person making the straight jump into the NBA.  I agree that he appears to be a genuinely good guy, the question is how far will his motivation take him.  I have already read about guys on the team and coaching staff saying they want and need him to be great, not good.  He can be good just based on his physical gifts, greatness will take something more.

Sure our psychoanalysis is cheap and uninformed, yet somehow that turd Dr. Phil gets paid millions to do the same thing while looking like a fatter version of Dabney Coleman, while we sit here getting paid zero for our highly insightful analysis.   ;)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
At least I'm more of a doctor than Phil.  heck, I just billed someone for a mental health visit.  Fortunately, rates have gone up a bunch since the 70's.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
That is so sad, I was thinking of inserting that same picture into my last post.  Maybe we do need more posters around here, the groupthink is getting scary.   ;D

I used to be in the healthcare field (hospital lab tech and supervisor, masters degree in Immunology and all of my course work completed, but no thesis, for my doctorate in the same subject) and technically a law degree is a juris doctorate, so they can call me a doctor as much as they call Phil a doctor.  Really, half of being a lawyer is knowing the law and how to work in the legal system, the other half generally involves psychoanalyzing everyone you deal with, especially your own clients.  Lawyers are a lot like prostitutes, most people pay us thinking they will get screwed, but most just end up talking to us about all of their problems in life.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »
Possible responses:

1.  I think you need to go and talk with Sir Charles... 
2.  I hear Curry said the same thing about personal drivers.

Yes, all this board needs is a little blowing tumbleweed.  I've been posting some at ReclinerGM.  Tom Moore posts a bunch there, and its good to hear from an insider.