Author Topic: Sixers v Spurs 2, Electric Boogaloo  (Read 3915 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Sixers v Spurs 2, Electric Boogaloo
« on: January 16, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »
Predictions?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:00:36 PM by tk76- »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers v Spurs 2, Elecric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
I started a thread in the main section, so we could get some posts from the Spurs fans.  I'm leaning towards a win for the Sixers, based on their improvement since that last game with them.  In either case, they are a good team to measure their progress against.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I'll be there.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:18:08 PM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »
No Brand tonight.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_homepage/?Lynam-Brand-Will-Not-Return-on-Friday=1&blockID=36180&feedID=717

I am actually OK with that for a couple of reasons:

1.  I don't want him playing until he is truly ready and recovered; and
2.  If we lose tonight, which is very possible the entire blame would go on Brand from many of the idiots in the crowd.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
Its interesting that even when things go well someone has to get hate.  Since Iguodala has been playing like Clyde Drexler, all of the sudden our injured PF gets the heat.

Why not just target Sam and WG all the time.  At least they deserve criticism...

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Sixers v Spurs 2, Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
Spurs getting "home team" favoratism from the official.  Sixers hitting 50 footers.  Kind of evens out.

Sixers actually look like the better team out there.  The Spurs have 3 great players but the Sixers seem much deeper.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »
The Sixers were the better team tonight, plain and simple.  Duncan is good, but Parker was pretty much a non-factor and Duncan and Ginobili couldn't will the Spurs to a win against a more determined and tonight, flat out better Sixers team.  I would say this team HAS to improve when Brand gets back and takes Ratliff and Evans' minutes, but there's not a whole lot more room to improve when you blow out two very good WC teams in a row.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
That was easily Speights' best game as a rookie.  For all of us (rightfully) complaining about his defensive rebounding, he did a tremendous job tonight.  Whenever the ball was shot, he put a body on his man and got position.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
I thought Dalembert did a great job on TD.  Even got jobbed on a foul or two.  The rest of the team made sure to reward him with a couple of shots on the other end.  Not too many teams can play TD one on one and get away with it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Unless the three 20+ win teams beaten in this run are worse then you think, this is as good as I've seen this team play.  And that includes during their run last year.  

They had a lot of quality wins last Spring, but these last few they just look to be a class above otherwise good competition.  They have so many players all peaking right now.  Gives and indication of what this team should be in a couple of years.  Likely they'll be up and down for a while longer though.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »
That was easily Speights' best game as a rookie.  For all of us (rightfully) complaining about his defensive rebounding, he did a tremendous job tonight.  Whenever the ball was shot, he put a body on his man and got position.

I think part of that had to do with less guys driving to the basket than normal.  I think a big part of Speights' problem is that he gets way out of position going for blocks and his man can get in behind him.  Still, when I saw he had 9 rebounds or whatever it was, I was impressed because I know that's really not part of his game on a consistent basis right now.

Other thoughts:

-Thaddeus Young has the best post game on this team.  Better than Speights or Brand (who prefers being up higher).  He put on a clinic tonight against everybody who tried to guard him.  They need to do a better job getting him the ball on the low-block on a consistent basis.  He looks way more comfortable there than trying to drive from the wing.

-Andre Iguodala has benefitted more than any other player by DiLeo's Decree.  I know longer yell "shoot the ball" at the top of my lungs when he has it, and his confidence shows.

-Willie Green still sucks.

-Royal Ivey is much more impressive in person than he is on TV.  By that, I mean you don't see all his hustle plays and off-the-ball movement on TV, but he seemed to be everywhere tonight.  Definitely better than Willie Green on defense and hustling, and doesn't take as many bad shots.

-Theo Ratliff is 10 times the defender Dalembert is, but Dalembert really does give more on offense around the hoop.  He may have stone hands, but he can oop when alleyed.

-If you take away Ratliff, Evans, Rush, and Marshall's minutes from tonight, you have right around what Brand would be getting.  That group combined for a total of 3 points.  Just saying.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »
Thad really seems to be playing well at PF the last few games.  Not only is he punishing teams on run outs, he's scoring in the lane and defending (did well against Aldridge.)  He is not a good rebounder (actually lousy for a PF) but he boxes out and is active.

Like I said at RealGM, I expect a lot of Brand at center, but with Thad at PF (Speights as well.)  It would be great to get a legit SG to rotate in.  Mike Miller would be perfect, but I'm sure there are lots of athletic SG who can shoot.  With Brand at center you can mix and match with Speights, Thad, Iguodala, new SG, Miller and Lou.  You'd be undersized, but able to send out superior athletes at every position- and really play to this teams strengths.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »
The Sixers have won the last few games through execution, good defense, good, in-rhythm shooting and their superior athleticism.  Earlier in the season the athleticism was going to waste, they would make a few jaw-dropping plays every game, but make even more stupid turnovers, bad defensive rotations, etc.  The execution, defense and shooting seem to be helped greatly by DiLeo's coaching style, philosphy of play and substitution patterns.  The guy also has a very even keel personality.  I thought Cheeks looked awfully frustrated and burned out this year almost from the start of the season.  The team might have benefitted too from simply hearing a new voice in their ears.

A team playing with confidence and executing well with their level of athleticism is difficult to beat.  I don't see Brand's appearance upsetting the apple cart this time as there seems to be a plan on offense and defense that his pretty varied skills should fit into very well.  Early in the season it seemed like they were just ad libbing about how to play with Brand.  One of the things Stefanski said when Cheeks was fired was that he and DiLeo had very specific ideas of how the team would play this year, including with Brand.  I think DiLeo has been working to implement their overall plan and so far, I can't complain.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »
If anyone missed the game it is available here: http://www.justin.tv/jtvsports_/archive