Author Topic: Iguodala the best?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Iguodala the best?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »
I was checking out this site: http://basketballvalue.com/index.php
There is a link to it on the phillyarena.com home page.

Apparently Iguodala has the best adjusted +/- in the NBA ovver the last 2 seasons.  The names right behind him: Lebron, CP3, Garnet, DWade and Nash.  The top three lead the pack by a considerable margin.

I assume this indicates Iguodala has been the most important player to his teams success over the last 2 seasons.  Maybe someone can explain this better?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Iguodala the best?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »
The only other Sixer that has a positive adjusted +/- over that span is Young- who was #3 in the NBA last year (makes sense given how much better the team played last year once he was inserted in the line-up.)

Oddly, Andre Miller is ranked 4th worse in the NBA! http://basketballvalue.com/topplayers.php?year=2008-2009&mode=summary&sortnumber=90&sortorder=ASC

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
I tried reading the article explaining how they calculate that stat and my head nearly exploded.  However, looking at the stats they have it does not look like Iggy is the biggest boon to a team's succes, but that his absence from the line-up makes the biggest difference of all of the players sampled.  Other players seem to have a much higher positive rating, while Iggy's positive rating when he is on the court is not that high, but the team's rating when he is not on the court is much lower and very negative.  Taken on its face it looks like he is good at making a really bad team look a little better than average.  Would his presence make as much of a difference on a better team?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »
Taken on its face it looks like he is good at making a really bad team look a little better than average.

Sounds about right given what we saw from the team last year.