Author Topic: Are T-Mac's days as an elite player over?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Are T-Mac's days as an elite player over?
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
That is a poll currently on ESPN.com right now....

Yes - 71%

No - 29%

What would you vote for and why?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are T-Mac's days as an elite player over?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
I'll tend to agree only because he's in such bad shape physically that he can't be asked to consistently carry a heavy load.  A load that most teams would ask of an "elite" player. 

Because he's so young, people forget this is T-Mac's 12th year in the league and he doesn't strike me as a player that is a work-out freak or keeps in top shape, like Kobe.  These elite-level high school players that came in the mid 90s:  Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal, and Tracy McGrady.  Only Kobe Bryant isn't showing signs of wear-and-tear.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
I'll tend to agree only because he's in such bad shape physically that he can't be asked to consistently carry a heavy load.  A load that most teams would ask of an "elite" player. 

Because he's so young, people forget this is T-Mac's 12th year in the league and he doesn't strike me as a player that is a work-out freak or keeps in top shape, like Kobe.  These elite-level high school players that came in the mid 90s:  Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal, and Tracy McGrady.  Only Kobe Bryant isn't showing signs of wear-and-tear.

Actually, Kobe is showing more wear and tear than KG.  Since KG is a big man he can disguise his loss of some of his atheltic ability.  Kobe has definately lost a step as far as exploding to the basket or jumping out of the gym.  It used to be so effortless, now he has to pace himself and I don't see him jumping out of the gym on every shot.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
Given the fact that KG is 7 feet and has played 10 million minutes he's held up remarkably well.   He's never been known as a party animal and has kept himself in good shape, especially in terms of flexibility through Yoga.   Kobe has always struck me as a guy who really focuses on his health.   

And in answer to the question, yes, McGrady can't be considered an elite player at this point. 

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes