Author Topic: Slightly OT: Rookie Watch  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Slightly OT: Rookie Watch
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
Eric Gordon is absolutely tearing it up.  he was the one I was hoping would fall come draft time (the undersized SG stigma), and we could move up a few spots and get him.  He's absolutely tearing it up right now, averaging 16.5 ppg on 47% shooting, 37% from 3 as a starter.  He's a solid defender as well.  He would have been a great fit here.

Also surprised by Westbrook's productivity.

Surprised at how little Portland's using Bayles.  Looks like Hickson might get a look with all the injuries in Cleveland.  I liked Hickson.

Can't say I'm overly surprised by Beasley's struggles, particularly on the defensive end (he has a -4.7 PER differential).

What's surprised everyone by this rookie class so far?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slightly OT: Rookie Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
I am very surprised with OJ Mayo.  Honestly I never though he would take what he did out here and be so successful, so quickly in the NBA.  Obviously GMs didn't agree as he was a high pick. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
Aside from the aforementioned Mayo, Gordon, and Westbrook, Rose has been a stud.. although its not really as surprising. 

Brook Lopez has been pretty solid.  His FG% could be a little higher, and he's certainly getting big minutes (28.5 per game), but I didn't think he's given NJ some needed help on the glass and hasn't been a slouch offensively averaging dbl figures. 

Augustine has impressed me as well.  He may force Felton out of town in the next couple of years. 

Fernandez has looked for Portland, although he's had some quiet games recently.  Its a shame Oden hasn't been the rock down low they were hoping for.... I suppose its still early. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
This rookie with a Philly connection has lots of popcorn:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Kings-vets-prank-rookie-Jason-Thompson?urn=nba,132813

That has nothing on the Phils trade to Japan (for the hot dog eating king) prank.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
This has been a very good rookie class.  Gordon was a guy I wanted in the draft, his long arms make him play taller, plus he is very strong.  Mayo has been better than I thought he would be this early, another great trade by Kevin McHale.  Jason Thompson surprised me early, and George Hill has looked unexpectedly good in SA.  Oden has not impressed all that much.

As I said before - Michael Beasley - Glenn Robinson.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »
Oden's expectations were just out of this world.  His per-minute production is good.  If he could find a way to play 35 minutes per, he'd be on pace to average 11/11/2 as a rookie, which is extraordinary, especially with his defense.  His problem is he can't prevent himself from picking up ticky-tack fouls.  Give him some time.

Agreed on Mayo, although I liked him a lot as a draft prospect.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
Oden needs to work on his balance, which was not helped by all of the upper body weight he added while rehabbing.  He is a weird mix of athleticism and awkwardness, hence the foul trouble.  At times he looks all world and at other times you wonder if he can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
Aside from the aforementioned Mayo, Gordon, and Westbrook, Rose has been a stud.. although its not really as surprising. 

Brook Lopez has been pretty solid.  His FG% could be a little higher, and he's certainly getting big minutes (28.5 per game), but I didn't think he's given NJ some needed help on the glass and hasn't been a slouch offensively averaging dbl figures. 

Augustine has impressed me as well.  He may force Felton out of town in the next couple of years. 

Fernandez has looked for Portland, although he's had some quiet games recently.  Its a shame Oden hasn't been the rock down low they were hoping for.... I suppose its still early. 

I dunno, I kind of am surprised about Rose like I am Mayo.  The way Rose is able to break down a defender or the entire defense of another team with relative ease is pretty impressive.  Again, just like Mayo, he looked good in college but I expected a big time rookie learning curve.  So far it seems as if teams are having more trouble with learning how to guard Rose effectively than he has learning to play in the NBA.  Just my take.  I have to admit I've seen  5-6 Chicago games this season.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »

I dunno, I kind of am surprised about Rose like I am Mayo.  The way Rose is able to break down a defender or the entire defense of another team with relative ease is pretty impressive.  Again, just like Mayo, he looked good in college but I expected a big time rookie learning curve.  So far it seems as if teams are having more trouble with learning how to guard Rose effectively than he has learning to play in the NBA.  Just my take.  I have to admit I've seen  5-6 Chicago games this season.

I was a big fan of Rose coming out of high school and I am not really surprised by his success, maybe the timing of it kind of like Mayo.  I was surprised that he measured out much shorter height-wise at the combine and his shot has always needed work form the outside.  I was a big advocate of drafting Speights, but I am also surprised by the rapidity of his development.  Has Bayless struggled in Portland or is it just a rookie on a deep team thing?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
I'm not surprised by Mayo's scoring (on a lousy team) as much as his efficiency.  I saw him as a rich man's Crawford- who is a career 40% shooter.  To come in as a rookie and score 20ppg on 45% shooting is impressive.

Both Rose and Crawford are the kind of guys that are hard to stop one on one.  That leads them to have more upside in the pros than college, since its harder to give help in the pros.

As for Beasley, he is playing on a winner and with a much shorter leash.  He still has a ton of upside and could still be a star in this league.  His per 36 min numbers are :18.7/7.3 2.8TOV on reasonable percentages.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:10:24 AM by tk76- »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
His per 36 min numbers are :18.7/7.3 2.8TOV on reasonable percentages.

With rotten defense.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
I think Beasley's defense would draw less attention if he was on a losing team like Memhis or Min where the entire team defense is bad.  This doesn't excuse his weakness, it's just under a brighter spotlight on Miami.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »
I think Speights has been the biggest surprise. Who would have thought that the 16th? pick would have the highest PER of any rookie in the league.

I think a lot of scouts and GM's are kicking themselves for not rating him more highly.

Big men with skill and co-ordination have always been hard to find, and the Sixers managed to find one in the draft.

I think he would be ranked higher and making more noise if he was given more PT.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »
I have a heavy-duty man-crush on Speights too, but dude, are you like his agent or what?  If not, you should be.