Author Topic: OT- Robot legs....or terminator?! j/k  (Read 1152 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- Robot legs....or terminator?! j/k
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/24/real-life-tony-starks/

October 24, 2008
Real-life Tony Starks?
Posted: 11:31 AM ET

Could the days of becoming half-man, half-machine be getting closer? Cyberdyne, a company just outside of Tokyo, has manufactured a robotic suit designed to help the elderly and disabled walk and go up stairs. Cyberdyne says even partially-paralyzed individuals are able to move around slowly with this device.

The ?hybrid assistive limb,? HAL for short, attaches to a user?s waist, thigh, and calf. Cyberdyne says brain signals that tell HAL to help a person walk are captured through the skin. HAL calculates how much energy the person will give towards the movement then it compensates with the right amount of assistance.

Even though HAL weighs 22lbs, the user does not have to carry around that weight as HAL is supported through its exoskeleton. The battery charge should last five hours under normal use.

HAL is currently available only in Japan. Users can choose between three different sizes. It can be rented monthly for $2,200.00 for two legs or $1,500.00 for one leg.

Cyberdyne has also designed a full robotic suit that includes assistance for the arms, allowing users to lift and hold objects they normally wouldn?t be able to. A release date for this has not been announced.

One question ? can?t help but wonder why the company chose the names ?Cyberdyne? and ?HAL? ? names that have less-than-stellar reputations from the Terminator movies and 2001, A Space Odyssey.

Christopher Piatt, CNN Sci-Tech Unit

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- Robot legs....or terminator?! j/k
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
I think that would be awesome for people who are unable to walk.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- Robot legs....or terminator?! j/k
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
I think that would be awesome for people who are unable to walk.

Yeah. up until they start to hunt you down for termination!   ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.