Author Topic: Rain  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Rain
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
I sure am glad it ended up 2-2 because that is total b.s. gameplay was even allowed to continue.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »
I'm fine with it.  They should have suspended the game, and I wouldn't have wanted the Phils to win on a decision.  It's great that the game is tied with a few innings left.

So far, it seems pretty clear that the Phillies are the better team, but the Rays are a very persistent bunch and it's no accident that they deserve to be in the series. 

Today is no better than yesterday rain-wise, they should put off finishing the game until the rain stops.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »
If anyone believes that the game wouldn't have continued if the rays hadn't scored, well i got bridges for you all over the world for sale...selig is making up rules, and now it's coming out they knew what was going to happen?

If you can call the game when ever you want and make sure the game doesn't end before 9 innings, call it sooner then...the weather wasn't any worse for the bottom of the sixth, or fifth, than it was in the top...

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »
I don't see how you can criticize them for calling the game when they did.  Had they called it earlier when the Phils had the lead they would have ruled the game complete and World Series champs and that would not have been fair.

I doubt the Rays would have even scored if it wasn't raining.  There were a lot of errors made that were very uncharacteristic of the Phillies, and much of that can be attributed to conditions.

In any case, this is the best outcome for baseball, since they get another night in prime time, and whoever wins will win because they were the better team, not because someone decided to call the game when one team had the lead.

Rain?  I see some snow coming down now!

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
Bud Selig made it clear that he was making crap up as he went along in his press conference.

The weather wasn't any worse in the bottom of the sixth than the top, and they suspended it exactly 30 minutes later, the minimum wait time...this was planned from before the game started...bud selig said they weren't going to let the world series end rain shortneed - he was changeing the rules - so change the rules.

It's unfair to suspend the game without giving teams equal chances in equal conditions...the weather wasn't any worse, the rain wasn't any worse, in the bottom of the sixth but for some reason, once the rays tied the game, it was too bad to continue....if they hadn't scored in the sixth, the game would have continued....

In any case, this is the best outcome for baseball, since they get another night in prime time, and whoever wins will win because they were the better team, not because someone decided to call the game when one team had the lead.

Yeah, it's the best outcome for baseball, everyone who runs the game looks like a buffoon for how they handled this debacle and more tv time for the lowest rated world series of all time.

The game NEVER SHOULD HAVE STARTED

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
36 minute wait between the bottom of the fifth and the top of the sixth

that's asinine.

if mlb had already decided there was 'no way' they were going to let the game end before 9 innings was played, and bud selig can make things up as he goes along, it was unconscionable to treat the philies defense and pitching that way, just suspend it off the fifth and use your 'powers' as commissioner to call specila circumstances and continue the game.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
Lighten up, will ya? Baseball is all about mistakes.  You know very well that the refs in this series have blown call after call, and some of them played a large part in determining the outcome of the game. 

The point is, they had a World Series game to play and they tried to play it on time and could not.  Because of television and all the scheduling that has to be done, it was the easiest decision for them to roll the dice and hope the game could go on.

I didn't even want to go to the game, it was miserable outside in Phila. last night.

Once the game started, it looked like things would work out fine, but the rain got worse and worse and radar showed it wasn't going to get any better- something that was not conclusive when the game started.

For the Phillies to win the series on a decision would have been terrible for baseball.  Selig may be making things up as he goes along, but he is trying to do this right, and give both teams a chance.  I think the Phils will be very happy to play their bottom of the inning in better weather than they would have last night, and it would have been a disaster for baseball if the game ended after 6 innings.

Like it or not, I think the intent of the decision was to be fair to both teams, and that's a big part of what baseball is all about- that the authorities are fair and impartial.  The television people wanted the game to start and baseball couldn't say no. So considering they had to start the game, what else would you have had Selig do?

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
No game tonight either

Well done MLB

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
HOLY

CRAP

That is all