Author Topic: NBA rulings  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Stu Jackson

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA rulings
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:47:38 PM »
NBA takes away Sura's triple-double
By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
April 13, 2004
ATLANTA (AP) -- The NBA took away Bob Sura's third straight triple-double Tuesday, ruling he shouldn't get credit for one rebound because he intentionally missed a shot just before the buzzer.

Sura thought he was the first NBA player since Grant Hill in 1997 to have three straight games with double figures in scoring, rebounding and assists.

But the NBA said his tactics in Monday night's 129-107 win over New Jersey violated the rule that states, ``A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into the basket for a field goal.''

Since Sura wasn't trying to make the shot, the NBA said, he shouldn't get credit for a field goal attempted. Therefore, there was no rebound.

The journeyman guard had 22 points and 11 assists when he intentionally missed a layup just before the buzzer so he could get his 10th rebound.

``Actually, the ball slipped,'' Sura said, laughing and not making any pretense at being serious. ``All the guys on the team were screaming at me to do it. It was kind of a reaction thing. I just did it.''

His intentional miss rekindled memories of Ricky Davis' blatant attempt to pad his stats last season.

Davis, then with Cleveland, was roundly criticized when he tried to finish off his first career triple-double by shooting at the wrong basket, missing and getting the rebound. Before it could happen, a Utah player wrapped his arms around Davis and was called for a foul.

Davis was fined by the Cavaliers, and the league pointed out a rule barring players from trying to score for the other team.

At least Sura was shooting at his own basket when he missed, but the NBA said it didn't matter.

Sura picked up the first triple-double of his eight-year career on Friday, when he put up 12 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds at Chicago. The following night, he had 15 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds against Boston.

First of all, let me set the record straight, I DECIDED THIS.  YES I am the NBA, and I can do whatever I want with complete impunity, but I made this decision, to protect the integrity of the league.  Those who wish to thank me for my great service and decisions please just include those warm thoughts in this thread, if not please send me a letter with a self addressed stamped retrun envelope so that I can decide if your post is worthy of allowing to be posted here.

The integrity of this league is my first priority, and that is why I feel it is necessary to issue punishments for behaviors in a completely arbritray and capricious manner.  I am a firm believer that it is critical to be consistently inconsistent in deciding punishments.  That is why I also feel it is ever so important to fine and suspend officials who make questionable judgement calls, but to ignore it when an  official clearly blows an easy one.  You have to send the right message, to the officials, the public, the players, the media, the coaches, and the front offices.  We will tolerate in fact encourage incompetance, but by god we will by no means tolerate mistakes.  The fact that Bob Sura could get an extra rebound in a completely inconsquential Atlanta Hawks game that he didn't truly deserve must be stopped, but of course we should never expect an incompetant NBA official to be held accountable for the fact that his decisions could actually matter.  Also big players like Shaq should be held to a higher standard on swearing than little people like Steve Francis, until of course I change my mind, and allow Shaq to be held to a lower standard, or of course if it happens during the heat of the playoffs or the playoff seedings  but then again, though that may have relevance it shouldn't because Bob Sura, cheated to get stats, and so I can in fact change how I view punishment standards, even if I don't really have any standards, and I do believe that it is so very important that we strive for competant incompetance, and as such I will fine whoever I wish however much I wish, whenever I wish, for whatever reason I wish.

Stew Jackson

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA rulings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:22:45 PM »
Corny little move from Sura IMO but its still a triple double.  Of course Bobby is pissed.....the only thing that will keep him in the minds of basketball fans once he retires got flushed down the drain by Stu.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com