Author Topic: Fantasy Basketball Suicide  (Read 1346 times)

jemagee

Fantasy Basketball Suicide
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
So westkoast mentioned in another thread he'd like there to be some sort of Fantasy Basketball Suicide game...building upon my idea of a pick the winners contest that I've been doing a thought experiment on in my head for design, database, and occupying my mind purposes.

Would anyone else here be interested in such a contest or some version of such a contest.  Not sure how it would work or what would be entertaining or attractive to people in terms of game play and interface. 

One idea I had on the suicide idea is weekly picks, with confidence, and the lowest score each week is eliminated...there's too many games each week for the 'get one wrong' get eliminated...

I think this would be a good site for a beta test and creation of such an idea if people were interested (and I can think of one other 'educated' source of basketball fans that might be worth tapping as well).

Just throwing it out there.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fantasy Basketball Suicide
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
I guess that would work if you picked say 5 games and whomever had the lowest amount correct got the boot.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
I'm not sure 5 would be enough though, even with a weighted confidence system...

there was an NFL pick em on yahoo once where you did that exact thing, you picked every game and you weighted it...i don't know if it lasted, but i like the idea of confidence points on the picks as well

Would everyone have to pick from the same pool of games, or would it be wide open?

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
Would it be too much to do it daily

3-5 games picked per day, with confidence, and a weekly 'ejection'...problem of course being that as people get ejected you lose participants...Maybe a double elimination with some sort of playoffs would help there.

I'd probably go with 5 randomly picked games per day, weighted for confidence, and on any day with less than 5 you just pick them all (like TNT THursdays)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Would it be too much to do it daily

3-5 games picked per day, with confidence, and a weekly 'ejection'...problem of course being that as people get ejected you lose participants...Maybe a double elimination with some sort of playoffs would help there.

I'd probably go with 5 randomly picked games per day, weighted for confidence, and on any day with less than 5 you just pick them all (like TNT THursdays)

I think daily would be too much for most of the people on this board.  Especially once that daily activity of changing up our fantasy rosters comes into play.  I don't see why you couldn't pick Sunday night or Monday morning for the entire week.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't pick Sunday night or Monday morning for the entire week.

Then you get into a how many games do you pick, does everyone pick the same games and injuries that happen during the week may screw you over.

I suppose in the long term you can present multiple options but once a week sounds like a good test...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »
I think everyone should pick 10 to 20 games per week, same number of games for everyone.  You are not allowed to pick the same winning team more than once in the same week.  Lowest score gets booted.  You should be able to adjust your picks up until tip off.

One thing you could do is limit our selections to a pool of games so you can't just pick who ever is playing the Grizzlies or Knicks all week.   :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"