Author Topic: ESPN Reports Iguodala Contract done  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: ESPN Reports Iguodala Contract done
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
Assuming Iguodala has an escalating deal, in 3 years the team will be paying Brand, Iguodala and Sam a combined 42M.  I wonder with all of that salary committed how willing they will be to replace Miller's big salary (or Sam when he expires and its time to pay Thad.)

It is kind of like being a mid-market team in baseball.  You have to keep the young guys developing cheaply.  This team might not be drafting high for the next few years, but I don't want to see them tossing away first rounders like LB and BK did.  Best case scenario is that Lou can replace Andre Miller (I didn't say likely) more than adequately and that Speights develops into our future starting center.  Drafting well in the late first and early second round and signing veterans who want to win on the cheap is how San Antonio has kept such a good team around Duncan for so long.

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
Too much money for Iguodala. Ed gave in and the sixers got a bad deal. Does anyone know what the 6th year, player option deal is valued at?

I guess to keep things positive, atleast the contract is not Rashard Lewis bad.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
there's an entire list of guys out there who make the salary range that iguodala does, read it in some blog, 15 players of varying degrees of talent, the guy rates iguodala better than 10 of them and worse than 5 of them.

Some NBA execs like the deal some don't, according to anonymous quotes in the papers.

I have no doubt iguodala will work his ass off to prove his worth to this contract

and i have no doubt he'll be booed incessantly any ilttle mistake he makes

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »

I have no doubt iguodala will work his ass off to prove his worth to this contract

Word, jem...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »
Stefanski pointed to the character issue as a reason for getting the deal done.  All of these guys are overpaid in one way or another, but Iggy has little risk of suddenly becoming a full-fledged head case or fat and lazy.  Unless he gets injured you know you will get very significant production from Iguodala.  Is it worth $80 million over six years?  Probably not, but he'll come close.  A guy like Josh Smith would have made more than Iggy in a true free market because some GM would have paid for potential and ignored the possible danger signs.  He got less than Iggy in a restricted market because the number of people willing to gamble on him was small and nost of them decided against it for safer options like Brand and Camby. 

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »

QFT.  The funny thing is that various people were willing to play him 5/65.  This is essentially with an option on a 6th year.

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
QFT.  The funny thing is that various people were willing to play him 5/65.  This is essentially with an option on a 6th year.

Except that it's HIS optoin and not the teams which makes a huge difference

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
I don't question Iguodala's work ethic.  I do question his first step, ballhandling, and body control when finishing at the rim.  Iguodala might not be the #1 option anymore, but any team truly contending for a title needs a guard who can be a #1 option down the stretch when it's harder to get big men involved in the game and in their sets.  For as good as Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Shaq are, late in the 4th quarter it was Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant and Paul Pierce doing the scoring.  I question whether Iguodala can ever be that, not because of work ethic but because of skill set, and with what we're now paying him and how little maneuverability we now have, we need him to be that.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »
Honestly, I have more faith in Lou and Brand (and maybe eventually Thad) finishing out close games on the offensive end.  If Iguodala can play great D in the 4th and trigger the break that is all I expect.  I do think Lou can become a great 4th quarter player with his ability to break down a defender. 

Hopefully Iguodala will earn at least a big part of his salary with his overall game- but he's not going to ever be their go to offensive player down the stretch.  The fact that his is overpaid won't actually change what I expect from him- because I'm pretty much set on what he can and cannot do on the court.  If he tries to take over games in the 4th to justify his contract he will probably do so at the expense of the teams success.  I don't care if Lou will make 1/3 the money- put the ball in his hands if you have to score.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
Igoudala deserves a bit more credit than a lot of you seem willing to give.  While it's clear that he isn't Kobe or LeBron, it's also clear that he's no stiff either.

This is a player that has worked on his game and body every off season, and he has improved his scoring average each season in the league, having to adapt to new teamates and new positions.  He was pretty skinny when he first entered the league, but his arms reveal that he has lifted a lot of weights and is now one of the most physical players at 6'6" in the NBA.

No, Andre isn't a gunner or a shoot-first player, he is far more sound fundamentally and plays a complete game, defending adequately, getting rebounds and getting his teamates easy buckets.

It's also not a forgone conclusion that he won't be the team's first option on offense. Now that he's surrounded with more talent teams will have a much harder time trying to stop him, and his passing ability will make sure that they pay when they overcover him.  It may turn out that the Sixers offense will work best when it goes through Iguodala.

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
dabods:

Your post is right on the money.  We are now paying Iguodala to be the perimeter scorer/finisher that we will need in the guts of the game when teams pack it in on Brand, and - right now at least - his handle, perimeter jumper and ability to get to the rack and finish in the halfcourt (particularly in May and June) are simply not $80 million material.

I hope that it gets there, because the impact that Iggy's contract has on our salary cap pretty much requires it to be there.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
Iggy press conference on CSN at 3pm EST

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Is it odd that of all the press releases I've seen from the PC, I haven't seen a single quote from Iguodala?