Author Topic: Could the Rockets miss the playoffs?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Could the Rockets miss the playoffs?
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:59:47 AM »
Of course all the media attention is on the race for the top seeds in the west.  However a very interesting 4 team race has developed for the 7 & 8 seeds.  The Rockets currently hold 7th but are only 1 1/2 games ahead of the Jazz (although 2 in the loss column).  Portland and Denver are only another 1/2 game behind (tied in the loss column).

Remaining schedules (date of game):
Rockets   @Clips (7), Nuggets (9), @Jazz (10), @Sonics (12), Mavs (14)
Jazz    @Mavs (8), Rockets (10), @Wolves (12), Suns (14)
Nuggets  @Suns (7), @Rockets (9), Blazers (10), Kings (12), @Spurs (14)
Blazers   Warriors (7), @Spurs (9), @Nuggets (10), Spurs (12), Lakers (14)

Can the Rockets hold on and make the playoffs?  They hold the tie breaker with Portland but are 1-2 vs Denver and 2-1 vs Utah.  I'd say it is fairly obvious that none of these teams will win out.  But at the same time they won't be rolling over for the top teams down the stretch either.

IMO the Rockets will hold on.  The two game lead in the loss column is big.  You have to assume that the bottom 3 teams will lose at least 1 game each....most likely 2.  That would mean that Rockets would have to lose 4 of their remaining 5 to miss out on the playoffs.  Big game could be final with Dallas....if Mavs have locked up their seed then look for the Mavs big guns to rest a lot.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:54:55 PM »
Lurker I agree the Rockets will manage to hang on.  However for all pratical purposes they might as well skip the playoffs.  They will be going in with no momentum.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 01:36:40 PM »
Van Grunty appears to have killed any momentum they had.

Funny, just after TDunker went down and thus Pops brain opened up to the idea of open flow offense, it seemed to inspire Van Grunty to let Houston try open flow a few games.  Beat the TWolves, another good team and scored 100+ for 2-3 games.

Alas, he killed all that.  

Good coach would have Hou competing right now, none of this 4 years from now crap.

jn

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:44:05 PM »
Well dude, they tried free flowing offense for years under Rudy and never made the playoffs. One step at a time.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:06:24 PM »
Well dude, they tried free flowing offense for years under Rudy and never made the playoffs. One step at a time.
with Yao Ming?
Hakeem O and Clyde the Glyde?
The games this year when they have played open flow O.
Yao skyhookin, reverse shootin, outside shootin, shot blocking the Flamers repeatedly.

This team is built to run.  Now.  Stevie F, Yao, J Jackson, Mobley, Whitey the three pointer.

jn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 02:32:52 PM »
Well Yao was only a rook last year but he was there and the problem was that Rudy letting the guards continue to jack up shots.  Prior to that it was all about Francis, Mobley and Norris going one on one.  All three of those guys were TERRIBLE decision makers.

Van Gundy not be a offensive genius but the Rockets had several years where they allowed Francis and Mobley (and others) to play "free flowing" ball, and they never made the playoffs.  All sizzle and no steak is the best description I can think of.  

And no, Eric Piatkowski is not made to run.  ;)

jn

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »
Also the Wolves payback win the other day had nothing to do with the style of offense.  It had a lot more to do with the fact that Yao showed he is still a work in progrees.  Ervin Johnson muscled him and KG outquicked him.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:44:30 PM »
The Rockets are their own worst enemy.  If they got W's for half the games they blew themselves by turning the ball over they would be in the Grizz's spot right now.  I am really hopping they make it so Yao can get some playoff expierence under his belt.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 02:59:24 PM »
Well Yao was only a rook last year but he was there and the problem was that Rudy letting the guards continue to jack up shots.  Prior to that it was all about Francis, Mobley and Norris going one on one.  All three of those guys were TERRIBLE decision makers.

Van Gundy not be a offensive genius but the Rockets had several years where they allowed Francis and Mobley (and others) to play "free flowing" ball, and they never made the playoffs.  All sizzle and no steak is the best description I can think of.  

And no, Eric Piatkowski is not made to run.  ;)
I think we have different definitions of free flowing.  In my free flowing offense, assists abound and turnovers are low.  "Run and jack up anything" like the previous Rockets is not Free flowing, its Meflowing.  As you posted, the Rockets "allowed" that to happen, Rockets to me meaning coach and management.

You can have the exact same players but bring in a coach with a better fit.  Look at LA pre and during Phido Winters.  I'd love to have seen the Rockets get a good coach.

Concur on previous years.  But this is where coaching comes in.  I don't view Franchise as being uncoachable.  I see a guy who is freaked out, hoists shots when he shouldn't yet doesn't shoot when he should.  I attribute this to both Van Grunty and his predecessor.  Now if I'm wrong and Franchise is uncoachable then so be it.

White Threebie Piatowski can indeed spot up and fire if he is with a runnin team whose offense is such that the defense has to respect and pay attention to the other 4.

Look at De'reek Swisher in 2002.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 04:13:33 PM »
Reality, I have to disagree with you....Franchise has become an uncoachable player.  Maybe was from the beginning with his "I won't play here" stunt.

Visit some Rocket boards and you will find that the fans are fed up with Franchise and his me-first attitude.  Many of them have even suggested a Franchise for AI trade....which tells you something when they would choose "I am the team" Iverson over Stevie.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 10:22:55 AM »
Reality, I have to disagree with you....Franchise has become an uncoachable player.  Maybe was from the beginning with his "I won't play here" stunt.

Visit some Rocket boards and you will find that the fans are fed up with Franchise and his me-first attitude.  Many of them have even suggested a Franchise for AI trade....which tells you something when they would choose "I am the team" Iverson over Stevie.
Brutal.  Didn't know it was that bad.

Well i accept all that.  Still i wonder if he had a good offensive coach what he and the Rockets could be.  Have shown flashes of it this year.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 06:44:06 PM »

The problem is that Philly will never go for a Francis/AI trade -- why?  It's not because both players aren't selfish and uncoachable but because AI puts bodies in the seat (mainly due to his "street cred" that Philly loves so much -- something that Francis doesn't have) and if they have to have a selfish player -- they will take the guy who makes them money.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 09:47:21 AM »
The Rockets currently hold 7th but are only 1 1/2 games ahead of the Jazz (although 2 in the loss column). Remaining schedules (date of game):
Rockets   @Clips (7), Nuggets (9), @Jazz (10), @Sonics (12), Mavs (14)

Can the Rockets hold on and make the playoffs?  They hold the tie breaker with Portland but are 1-2 vs Denver and 2-1 vs Utah.  

3 down and 2 to go.  The Rockets need only go 0-2 vs Sonics and Mavs to complete the dream.