Author Topic: Deng On Verge of Signing: 6 years/$70MIL  (Read 3230 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Deng On Verge of Signing: 6 years/$70MIL
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
According to Marc Stein, Luol Deng is about to sign a 6 year deal for $70MIL with the Bulls. This could be the final straw that ends the Iguodala negotiations. Maybe Iggy gets a little more ($72MIL??) but it shouldn't be much more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3510232

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Deng On Verge of Signing: 6 years/$70MIL
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
All these guys finally signing is good news.  The 9-10M year 1 salary seems to be the golden number.  I'm sure Iguodala and Smith will end up at the high end of the group, but I can't see them holding out for a 12M starting number when everyone else is in the 9-10M range.  Hope I'm not wrong.

And I hope Lou and Dala both sign frontloaded 6 year deals.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
I wonder what it feels like to sign a 6 year 70 million dollar contract. 

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
I wonder what it feels like to sign a 6 year 70 million dollar contract. 

It must be amazing. I mean, maybe you take the wife out for a fancy dinner (Wendy's) and let her order anything she wants off of the (dollar) menu.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
Iggy should fall in line fairly soon after the Deng signing.  Josh Smith and Ben Gordon should be the most interesting situations to watch.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:09:01 AM »
TK (or anyone else) can you list a breakdown of what this contract would look like over the course of 6 years with maximum increases? I'm curious to see where this contract will be financially in years 4, 5, and 6.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
Rumor is that it's not front loaded either, like hinrich, to avoid the luxury tax

Also, if the bulls are looking to avoid the luxury tax this means Gordon ain't getting much according to ESPn

Personally I think if you choose ONE to extend between the two it's Deng

I can't believe I missed this thread until now

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »
Rumor is that it's not front loaded either, like hinrich, to avoid the luxury tax

Also, if the bulls are looking to avoid the luxury tax this means Gordon ain't getting much according to ESPn

Personally I think if you choose ONE to extend between the two it's Deng

I can't believe I missed this thread until now

On the radio this morning I heard someone (Foxsports radio IIRC) say that there were incentives in Deng's contract that could take it to 6 years at near $80 million.  I have not heard this anywhere else yet nor did I hear any details on the supposed incentives.  I know the NFL has all kinds of rules on how incentives count towards their salary cap, but I have not really seen it discussed in the NBA much.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »
a 6 year, 70 million deal with 10.5% raises would look like:
which totals 6 years, 70,068,750 million.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
About as close as actually to a 6 year, 70 million deal as you can get:
$9,240,924.20
$10,211,221.24
$11,181,518.28
$12,151,815.32
$13,122,112.36
$14,092,409.41

Total: $70,000,000.82

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »
If Iguodala signs a deal close to that, I think I'm fine with it. The cap and tax should increase by more than enough as those 6 years go on that this deal wouldn't become a backbreaker and stop us from making other big moves down the road. The one request I would have is that Stefanski try and frontload the deal since we aren't right up against the tax right now and won't figure to have much cap space next summer either even if Miller walks away for nothing.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
I used to think that raises were 8%, but I guess for Bird right players it is 10.5%, sorry for the mix up, that shifts down the starting salaries I've been quoting for Okafor, Ellis and Deng by about 700K:
Contracts for Larry Bird and Early-Bird free agents may contain 10.5% raises.  Contracts for other free agents may contain 8% raises.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#61

A 10M starting salary w/8% raises is 6yr/72M.   

Like Skates, I don't know how incentives work with the cap.  My guess is that they count against future years?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:40:32 AM by tk76- »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »
From Larry Coon : http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#61

61.  Can incentives be built into a contract?  How do they count against the cap?

There are three types of allowable incentives: performance incentives, academic/physical achievement incentives, and extra promotional incentives.  The latter two types of incentives are always included in team salary.  Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," and are only included in team salary if they are "likely to be achieved."  The league office determines what is likely and what is not.  Their guideline is whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season.  For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would probably be classified as "likely to be achieved," but an incentive based on eight assists per game would probably be classified as "not likely to be achieved."  Unlikely bonuses in any season are limited to 25% of the player's salary in that season.  In the first year of a contract the base salary, likely bonuses and unlikely bonuses must all fit within the salary cap or exception.  Exceptions are reduced by the aggregate of the salary and unlikely bonuses, so if the Mid-Level exception is $5.5 million and a player is signed to a $2 million base salary and $500,000 in incentives, the team's Mid-Level exception is reduced by $2.5 million, leaving $3 million.

Incentives must be structured so that they provide an incentive for positive achievement by the player or team, and are based upon numerical benchmarks (such as points per game or team wins) or generally recognized league honors (such as MVP or all-NBA first team).  The numerical benchmarks must be specific -- e.g., a bonus may be based on the player's free throw percentage exceeding 80%, but may not be based on the player's free throw percentage improving over his previous season's percentage.  Certain kinds of incentives are not allowed, such as those based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date, or for a specific length of time.  An incentive also cannot be based on the player suiting up for a specific number of games.

All performance incentives are re-evaluated at the start of each season to determine whether they should be classified as likely or unlikely to be achieved.  In addition, players' performance incentives may be re-evaluated if they are traded.  For example, a bad team may have a player with a performance incentive based on the team winning 41 games, that the league classifies as "not likely to be achieved."  If that player is traded to a contending team, the league may reclassify the incentive as "likely to be achieved," and include it in the new team's team salary.

Note that the incentives are classified based on the prior season, not on an assessment of the current season.  Suppose Team A won 25 games last season, and Team B (with the league MVP) won 45.  Also suppose the MVP had a performance incentive based on his team winning 30 games.  This incentive would be classified as "likely to be achieved," since Team B achieved this standard the prior season.  Now suppose this player is traded to Team A for draft picks.  Even though adding the MVP should easily push Team A's win total above 30, the incentive would still be reclassified as "not likely to be achieved" since the classification is not based on an assessment of the current season, but on the results of the prior season.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:42:49 AM by tk76- »