Author Topic: Sixers sign...  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Sixers sign...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
Similar offensive players, maybe slight edge to buckner.  Ivey's a better passer, but not near the defender IMO.

I actually think Ivey's one of those guys who people go "he's not an offensive player, so he must be a defensive stopper", when that's not really the case IMO.  He gives effort defensively, but overall I think he's actually a mediocre defender.  At least, that's the impression I've gathered from what little I saw him, combined with his defensive PER, and talking to some bucks fans I know.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
Similar offensive players, maybe slight edge to buckner.  Ivey's a better passer, but not near the defender IMO.

I actually think Ivey's one of those guys who people go "he's not an offensive player, so he must be a defensive stopper", when that's not really the case IMO.  He gives effort defensively, but overall I think he's actually a mediocre defender.  At least, that's the impression I've gathered from what little I saw him, combined with his defensive PER, and talking to some bucks fans I know.

A good bit of his time last year in Milwaukee was spent defending SF's where he is a little undersized.  Playing guards he is a very good on-ball and pressure defender from what I have seen.  I have also read a number of reports on him from the last  year by scouting/evaluator types (Hollinger was one, maybe Rosen although he loves WG so that doesn't say much, I can't remember the others) that lauded his D.  Buckner is a little bit bulkier and stronger looking and better offensively.  Ivey looks a little more athletic than Buckner.  I think he is somewhat like an early Bruce Bowen when Bowen was first figuring out that concentrating on D is his only way to stay in the league, probably about the time Bowen was with the Sixers.  I highly doubt he ever reaches the level of defensive proficiency that Bowen later did, but few players ever do. 

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
On Jason Smith:

He's a starter in this league," an Eastern Conference scout said. "No question."

Um who said this, Billy King?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »
On Jason Smith:

He's a starter in this league," an Eastern Conference scout said. "No question."

Um who said this, Billy King?

Who cares who said it, the point is Smith isn't going anywhere, because we don't have anyone else as a back-up center.  Smith had a decent summer league, and teamed with Brand he could be the Sixers Rambis-type.

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
Who cares who said it, the point is Smith isn't going anywhere, because we don't have anyone else as a back-up center.  Smith had a decent summer league, and teamed with Brand he could be the Sixers Rambis-type.

Kurt Rambis?

The sixers do have a back up center, he's 19/20 years old and defensively i think he's already better than smith.

Smith is tall, has some range from the outside, and he's white, so people think he's more than he is in my opinion....in my opinion dudes a 3rd center on a championship team, a one trick pony who is a defensively liability...if there is some team out there thinks he's a starter, more power to them, make them over pay for him

Offline southjersey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
I dont know if I see Kurt Rambis in Jason Smith. Offensively he is ok, but he gets killed on defense. Speights is already better then him on defense. Whatever scout said he is a starter, has probably never even watched him enough to have seen his small arms.