Author Topic: Minimum Salary Questions  (Read 2965 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Minimum Salary Questions
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
If/when the Sixers re-sign Iguodala and Williams, I count only 11 players that will be on the Sixers roster....

Miller, Iguodala, Young, Brand, Dalembert, Williams, Speights, Evans, Smith, Green, and Ivey....

so I imagine the team will fill it's roster out with players signed to minimum contracts. Am I wrong to assume that the Sixers are not restricted and can sign 4 players to minimum contracts? I mean, this isn't like an exception of sorts and since the team is in need of players they should be able to do this, right? I imagine at least 1 of those 4 open roster spots will come from the Summer League team. That would leave 3 open roster spots and I doubt the team fills all 3 but possibly 1 or 2 of them.

In looking at free agency, here are a handful of players that are UFAs that I think would be worth signing to a 2 year/minimum salary deal.

1. Kareem Rush: a shooter that can instantly become a fixture in an 8 man rotation.

2. Bonzi Wells: like Rush he would add some depth to SF position which looks pretty bare right now

3. Michael Finley: Veteran swingman that brings some more leadership to the team and a lot of depth. I doubt he leaves SAS for here but it's worth a shot.

4. Sean Livingston: Has connections to Brand and might not be a bad player to have in case he does return. He wouldn't be counted on anything this year but could slowly work himself back while learning from Miller in practice and so forth. Low risk/High reward.

Other notables: Robery Horry, Flip Murray, Lindsey Hunter, Derek Anderson (would he take the minimum??), Kwame Brown, Darius Miles (extremely unlikely given health and run-in with Cheeks), Kirk Snyder, and Fred Jones.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:16:31 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Minimum Salary Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
I like Rush, maybe even someone like Yakhouba Diawara from Denver who's got some size, can play D, and is reportedly one of those hard-working, good-in-the-locker-room, lunch-pail types.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
We need a George Lynch type of player is what we need. Then again, we need someone who can bomb from the outside which is why I like the idea of adding Rush. If we could add Rush, Livingston, and Kevin Ollie for minimum deals, I would feel really good about this team next year.

PG: Miller/Livingston/Ollie
SG: Iguodala/Williams/Ivey/Green
SF: Young/Rush
PF: Brand/Evans/Speights
C: Dalembert/Smith

Ollie would be a nice back-up option in case Miller (knock on wood) got injured. He also could serve as a player-coach since we would have so many young guys on this team.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:32:19 PM by TheGuiltyParty »

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
Diawara is the closest thing to Lynch left, IMO. Good D, not much O, although they could add him at a relatively young age.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »
Isn't reggie evans a george lynch ttype of player?

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »
Evans is that type, but I'd prefer they add another wing with some sort of size to help fill out the roster.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
Am I wrong to assume that the Sixers are not restricted and can sign 4 players to minimum contracts?

Right, I'm pretty certain you can sign as many minimum contracts as you like.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
I'd be surprised if Livingston signed somewhere for the minimum, but I'd pick him up in a second.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »
I am guessing that at least one rookie FA will make the team, probably Jamont Gordon.  Rush would be on the top of my list of possible minimum vet FA because of his shooting ability.  Ollie may be back as noted, more as an emergency fill-in and steady hand when needed.  There was also some talk of us picking up Steve Novak from Houston.