Author Topic: My general thoughts  (Read 1839 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
My general thoughts
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:35:14 PM »
Because I feel like a broken record, I'm just gonna put everything down here:

-The Sixers should not trade Iggy, period.  He's (arguably) a top 30 overall player in the NBA and there's nobody we could get right now that would be equal value.  Quantity really doesn't help us.  Him and Brand make a very good 1-2 scoring punch, and Thad and Miller are both probably 15 ppg guys.

-I agree that the Sixers need a 3-point shooter.  I don't agree that he needs to be starting quality, mainly because there's pretty much no way to get a starting quality 3 point shooter with no cap space, no exceptions, and no pieces worth one that the Sixers have for trade that wouldn't weaken the team as is.  If they can trade Smith and/or picks or whatever to get a guy, fine.  But he's not going to be starting quality, and with the minimum vet exception, you're not going to get a starting quality.  We may hafta wait another year to get that guy.

-The Sixers were 24-14 from 1/26 to the end of the season (at that included a 4 game losing streak to end it) and took a very good team to 6 games in the playoffs.  Now slot Iggy to SG, Thad to SF, and upgrade Green/Evans to Elton Brand, which is a supermassivewoahmg upgrade.  There's no reason not to believe we're a 50+ game winner next season even if all we do is add random backup fill-ins.

-Adding to the above, it really didn't seem like floor spacing was a problem during that winning stretch.  Why?  Because we could get to the basket, and if we missed, we had guys there to get O-Boards.  It may not be the perfect starting lineup, but there's no reason to believe that taking last year's model, replacing Evans with Brand (like, +15 ppg), moving Thad to his natural position with experience under his belt, and banishing Willie Green will suddenly make this team unable to win.  Will it be able to win in the playoffs?  I think it's good enough to get to the ECF at the very least.  Lemme repeat: we went to 6 games with the Pistons with Willie Green and Reggie Evans combining for just over 48 minutes per game.  That means for pretty much an entire game's worth of minutes, we had basically a terrible offensive player because we had no better options.  Now take that 48 minutes, give 38 to Brand, give 10 to Thad (bringing up near 37 mpg), and all of the sudden you've replaced that black hole with a much better player in all aspects of the game.

-Adding a guy who can actually score in the low post will likely boost all the outside shooting numbers.  As teams collapse inside, it makes sense that the outside guys will see more open looks.  When's the last time the Sixers actually had a low post presence to open things up for outside shooters?

I'll add to this as I see necessary.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: My general thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
Ducky, I have no idea what you just wrote because it is late, I am tired and too dang happy to care about the details of crafting our final roster right now, but I admire your energy and passion for the team.  Now stop drinking so many freaking Red_bulls and get some sleep and let's hope we don't wake up to find it all was a weird Elton Brand dream.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
Re: My general thoughts
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:09:39 AM »
I wanted to add how impressive the two-year transition that has taken place.  Think about where we were and what has taken place...while letting Igoudala and Williams become better basketball players and drafting Young and Speights with our picks.

2006-072008-09
Allen IversonAndre Miller
Chris WebberElton Brand
Kyle KorverJason Smith
2006 1st (Carney)2009 2nd

When you think about how badly we got fleeced in the Barkley trade... this is something.