Author Topic: The state of Philadelphia Sports Radio  (Read 2970 times)

jemagee

The state of Philadelphia Sports Radio
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »
So I'm wondering if the sixers are getting any real substantial coverage on sports radio right now in philly or are they talking eagles and bemoaning the loathsome performance of the phillies in the past 15 games or so?

I can get 950 and 610 on my puter at work and would enjoy listening to what's going on but know that some shuffling has been going on at both stations recently.

Only think i'm entirely sure of, i'd rather stick hot pokers up my sitting place than listen to howard eskin...any suggestion?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: The state of Philadelphia Sports Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »
Its not like anyone here is an insider, but this board is probably your best option for Sixers news and talk.  I gave up on 610 years ago.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »
It's mainly phillies talk.

Typically at work I listen to Jody Mac from 9am-1pm on 950.  1pm-3pm I listen to Anthony and Glenn on WIP.  3pm-7pm I listen to Mike Miss on 950.  I don't listen to entire shows, as I usually can't stand them that long, but if I listen to sports talk during that time, it's those shows.

The morning show on WIP is crap.  I liked Ike Reese when he works with someone, but as a solo person by himself I think is dreadful.  And the locker room on 950 is even worse.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
well most of the morning shows in philly are over when i wake up so that's not an issue :)  I thought 950 starting parterning with ESPN radio or is that not true?

I don't mind the phillies talk, i just expect it's a lot of sky is falling sky is falling why didn't they get sabathia (cause it would have stripped what little prospects the phils have AND the indians don't need pitching prospects) going on right now?  Oh yeah, howard is fat and over paid?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
The nice thing about the Sixers being active this summer is that I can more easily ignore the Phillies downward slide, hopefully until they can actually turn it around.

BTW, here in the beautiful capitol city of PA we have a choice of a FoxSports station or a recently switched SportingNews Radio station.  The hosts on the SportingNews station almost seem like they were hired as bad actors out of central casting to play stereotypically bad sports news anchors and talk show hosts.  They are absolutely horrendous.  A complete lack of sports knowledge and the constant schtick of taking unpopular positions just to argue with idiot callers, and then pretend that this somehow makes their hosts seem relevant and controversial, rather than just moronic.  That station was an ESPN radio affiliate until recently and sad to say I actually miss ESPN on the radio now.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »
I used to listen to both stations a fair amount on my long drives for work but I've really become tired of them. Jody Mac seems like the host with the most knowledge about the NBA but I've barely listened to him since ESPN took over 950. Thank Allah for iPods.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
Whenever I listen to Jody Mac I think i'm lin a time warp transported back in time when men were men, women were women and children were above average...i don't feel like he knows much about todays nba.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
Any sixer talk today or is it the phillies swoon still?  Stupid offense

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
Gargano loves the Brand signing but, like me, he believes the team needs a shooter at the 2 and think Ed needs to investigate some different sign and trade scenarios with Iguodala. Gargano seems to love the idea of a sign and trade of Iguodala for Ellis. Also, I don't know where this came from, but both 610 and 950 are talking about a trade of Reggie Evans to Charlotte for Matt Carroll.

On my drive back from Philly, I listened to Jody Mac. He likes the Brand signing (what's not to like?) but he thinks the Sixers need to keep Iguodala rather than trade him for another 2 guard. He brings up a solid point which is if you're trading Iguodala for another SG, then obviously the team getting Iguodala believes they're getting a better player because why would a team trade a 2 for a 2 unless they thought they were getting better?

I think that's a fair point but that's not always the case. Skiles loves defense more than offense and so the Bucks could trade Redd for Iguodala not because they believe Iguodala is better than Redd but because they believe Iguodala is a better fit for them in Skiles system.... the same could be said about us and Redd. That's been discussed enough already though.

The one thing Jody said that made me shake my head is that "Iguodala is a SG who can play a little SF". I think he has that backwards.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
It depends on the skill sets of the players, iguodala and ellis have different strengths and weaknesses, i don't buy iguodala ellis swap mostly because ellis fits what the warriors try to do better than what iguodala does :)

I'm impressed that gargano even seemed competent on something not eagles related.

Evans for Carroll?  Where do i sign, i just want evans gone.

The one thing Jody said that made me shake my head is that "Iguodala is a SG who can play a little SF". I think he has that backwards.

Based purely on minutes, not really...