Author Topic: Credit lines credit cards closing  (Read 944 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Credit lines credit cards closing
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
Biz acquaintance is a credit lord, knows all.
He says you might want to use up you credit limit like right now, if that is you have any left and need stuff or foresee needing stuff.  No i am not suggesting buying needless things.  What I am saying is he says he is seeing numerous credit lines being closed even tho people are not late and never have been.

Example.
Credit card.  You have a 10K limit and owe only 500 bucks, or for that matter 5000 bucks.  Plus you have been stellar on your payments, never late.  A lot of cards are now closing or reducing the limit without warning.  Yep, that 10K card may become 5K or even less overnight.  Even tho you did nothing wrong and have a history of paying on time every time and your income is staying the same.  It's happening people.

What are you guys hearing and experiencing?

As to credit cards, always always accept their offer to go to 0% on a new card for X amount of time, even the 6 months ones tho 12 is better.  When you get the envelope that says "pre approved" its usually completely legit.  "Pre qualified" is the b.s. one.  "0% on purchases and/or 0% on balance transfers" is just that, they are giving you the op to buy either goods and services or loaning you money via balance transfer at 0%.  Sometimes they will only let you transfer into another credit card.  Other times you can transfer it into whatever checking account you have and want.  Read the fine print, it only lasts so long and then reverts to a %, so make sure you know what and when that upcoming % will be.  But, if you have even a so-so high card, say 10.9%, you are racking up accumulation every day on balance.  If you have a 17.9% + card you are simply getting hozed.  Get the zero % card, pay off the crappy % card (or reduce it) and then make payments on the zero % card knowing a buck paid = a buck credited.  Unlike the percentage cards, you always only get X number of cents on each dollar paid, sometimes is unreal how greedy it is.  He has been to banking seminars and you would not believe how they address consumers and how they are planning to get you into debt so you can be paying them back forever at a percentage.  Not a whole lot different from owing the mob.  Well, okay its a lot different.

If you do a balance transfer into your checking account, don't think you were just given money.  I mean actually you were, but you have to pay it back.  Do so before the 12 months is up.  They will charge you 3% or $99, which ever is lower.  Try to sweet talk them into waving the balance transfer fee.  I'm at 50% on sweetalking, not bad.  That includes a couple treys so my adjusted sweet talking % is actually like 65%.

If you do this and make all your payments on time for a year, you will surely get another 0% offer next year.  Their season is Oct and Nov.   Just do it again and again with the goal of completely eliminating (or drastically reducing) your % credit cards.

Shoot i have 8 cards at 0%, i kid you not.

Another reason might be we do not know what further damage the Reich Wing party has before they leave office.
4 bucks a gallon and $100+ per barrell of oil, check.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Credit lines credit cards closing
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »
Do not use credit cards to buy things you cannot afford, and do not take a loan from them unless you can pay it back immediately.  It is pretty late in the game, so it is important that you get out of debt and stay that way.

For some that might mean a change in lifestyle if there income isn't greater than their expenditures. But it is the only way to be as the US slides into a recession.

The stock market is crashing now, and the money behind the easy credit is drying up. The market has further down to go, so if you have equities consider selling them now, and waiting until the bottom occurs, when the Indu's are below 10,000.

Gold on the other hand is finally taking off, currently at $926, and headed up to resistance at $945 or so, before heading up to $1000.  We should hit $1200 before the end of the year.

Under no circumstances should you borrow money or go on margin to trade. If you are a good enough trader you don't need it, and working hard for it makes you appreciate how important it is to be careful.  But you can and should participate with some of your savings in order to preserve value in an inflationary environment.

It's no secret that it's becoming a bad time in the US as the result of higher commodity prices, and especially oil. But you should recognize that things can continue to get worse and probably will for a while. Even food prices are being impacted.  It is amazing that Taco Bell can make money selling things for under a dollar, and even McDonalds, not that I recommend eating there!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Credit lines credit cards closing
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
Do not use credit cards to buy things you cannot afford, and do not take a loan from them unless you can pay it back immediately.  It is pretty late in the game, so it is important that you get out of debt and stay that way.
How about with my zero percent cards that are not due until July of 2009, i today take out 10K and put it in gold?