Author Topic: jn, ziggy, rolando blackman, atom where are you all?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
jn, ziggy, rolando blackman, atom where are you all?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:03:51 AM »
dabods also.
no thoughts on the spurs-lakers?

det-boston?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: jn, ziggy, rolando blackman, atom where are you all?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
I've been in Texas visiting my bro and his family.  Watched most of the games while there but haven't had a chance to post yet. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
Well by 52" DLP TV took a crap on me for the 3rd time, and was in the shop for nearly 3 weeks.  No TV, so more time to do home work, work in the garden, and host a wedding at my house.  I haven't watched a playoff game, other than part of one the Phx/SA games, a little of one Bos/Det, and part of one Utah/LAL.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »
Well by 52" DLP TV took a crap on me for the 3rd time, and was in the shop for nearly 3 weeks.  No TV, so more time to do home work, work in the garden, and host a wedding at my house.  I haven't watched a playoff game, other than part of one the Phx/SA games, a little of one Bos/Det, and part of one Utah/LAL.

I am thinking about getting a DLP.  Can you tell me what the problem was and if it is a problem with the manufacturer?  Is it a brand I should avoid?  If so, what brand should I stay away from?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »
zig does this mean you are missing Red Sox games also?

Looking good for ROY for Ellsbury.  After the slow start he has been pretty steady, i see he even got to .297 before some O-fers vs Oakland.  19 for 21 in stolen bags, 24 BBs thus .380 OBS makes his average way better.

I think he's well on course for ROY.  Sox winning the division wont hurt him either.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »

I am thinking about getting a DLP.  Can you tell me what the problem was and if it is a problem with the manufacturer?  Is it a brand I should avoid?  If so, what brand should I stay away from?

Spurs, I am one of the worst people to ask about this because my experience has been HORRIBLE.  I am sure there are a lot of people that haven't had an issue, but for me I am totally disgusted.  It is a Mitsubishi 52", bought it at Best Buy.  I was told that I "should" replace the lamp every 12-15 months, but when I do it would be like a new TV, and that the cost was "couple hundred $".  There is a difference between should "SHOULD" and "MUST".
I figure OK every 18 months or so I would change it.  Hah fat chance of that.  Six months in, bulb went out, and I was without a TV for 2 weeks, waiting for a new bulb, that was $400.  That one lasted about 1 year, and then wham, it happened again.  This time it gave me an error message stating the bulb was about to crap out, so I ordered it, and was only out of TV for 2 days, but also out another $400 bucks.  About a year later same thing happened.  Then this time it went 6 months +/-, and then it just crapped out.  I was without it for nearly 3 weeks, and it turned out to be a bad power supply, $300, but I will have to replace the bulb in 6 months or so and another $400.

I have a hi-def TIVO, and for some reason I get a distorted signal which gives you a distorted picture.  Have to restart the TV 3-4 times for it to finally get a good picture.  Happens about 1/3 of the time.

After this adventure, I told the wife that depending upon the cost, we would haul the POS to the dump and get a LCD or Plasma.  At $300 I fixed it, and then I will replace the bulb one more time, and then I am done with it.  I had a Sony Tube for 25 years, with only one small problem, in the shop for a day.  Had a JVC tube and I had a problem that righted itself, and never had it in the shop for 15 years.

If I was to give you advice, I would say, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A POS DLP.  SPEND THE $600 MORE ON THE LCD, YOU WILL BE MONEY AHEAD IN A YEAR.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
WOW!!!  6 month bulb replacement???  that IS some dough right there.  Guess I will have to start looking for an LCD then...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »
Does San Antonio have a Costco?
One of the best return policies in the biziness.  Prices are competetive, whatever more you pay is made up for 10Xs by the return policy.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »
Does San Antonio have a Costco?
One of the best return policies in the biziness.  Prices are competetive, whatever more you pay is made up for 10Xs by the return policy.

Yes, we have atleast 2 Costco's right now, maybe 3, I knnow there should be atleast 5 of them open for business in the area soon - that's crazy IMO.

I was gonna get the DLP from there.  I went ahead and bought a good 1080p LCD flat panel, 52" this weekend.  Finally got to really enjoy blu-ray on it.  I LOVE THE FREAKIN QUALITY OF BLU RAY!!   ;D

I must have spent the money to heal the hurt of my Spurs losing....or at least thats what I am telling myself.   :P :P :P

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

I was gonna get the DLP from there.  I went ahead and bought a good 1080p LCD flat panel, 52" this weekend.  Finally got to really enjoy blu-ray on it.  I LOVE THE FREAKIN QUALITY OF BLU RAY!!   ;D

Oh how I envy you.  How much more was the LCD compared to the DLP?

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
lcd was 2800.00 before sale (memorial day - they had it all week long I guess) I got 900.00 knocked off of the lcd.  the DLP I was going to get was a 61" for about 2500.00, it was on sale for 1500.00.  I figured, why take the chance with the whole bulb issue and pay more in the long run, so I bought the lcd with 3 years of coverage.